Severe copd

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I'm 52 and have severe copd both my lungs are affected and am on regular medication from my consultant I've had this for 5 years now and have lost my father uncle and both grand parents to this disease any help advise or reassurance would be appreciated this gets me down as I am unable to do things that I used to 

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My mum goes to salt therapy its brilliant can't recommend it enough

• Posted

Hi Amanda so sorry to hear your news and so sorry for the loss of your father, uncle and grandparents.

Its good you are under a consultant, hopefully you've had all the tests to determine its not anything other than COPD.  Alpha1, IPF etc

You likely will know by now what helps and what doesn't help if you have attended a pulmonary rehabilitation course, a lung exercise and education programme, if you've not been on one do ask for a referral, it will help you manage your symptoms and make you more aware of the dos and don't.

Even people with severe copd are advised to do some form of regularly exercise and of course stopping smoking and avoiding any smokey environment, avoid contact with people who may be infected with a cold or the flu virus etc.  Those 3 things alone will help preserve lung health, slow down the progress of the disease and enhance quality of life.

Most diagnosed with COPD can't do things that we used to, but find things we can do instead.

If you are in UK check out the information on the British Lung Foundation website and contact their helpline for any concerns you may have.

Or contact the Lung Foundation or Association in the country you are residing.

Best wishes V

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your situation. I too like you can't do many of the things I used to do.There is NO ANSWER to that. Get used to saying to yourself " I used to be able to do that", then sit down and think of all the other things you can still do.It won't cure your problem but you will be able to move on to other things.

You can live many years with this complaint, so find something that gives you some comfort, don't just sit around and hope for a miraculous cure, we all hope for that but its a long way off yet and as I am 74 I don't think it is likely to be in my lifetime. So take control of your own destiny. Do what you can, when you can.

I wish you well in whatever pursuits you decide to try.

• Posted

I know how you feel I have been on oxygen for 15years and I cry and ask why but ultimately only you have the power. Its a lonely thing disease but I find it better to let everything out I cry get angry and feel sorry for my self then its a new day. X
  • Posted

It dose get you down but you need to learn to live with it i have stage 4 & not being able to do what i want does my nut in but i find the best thing to counter this is by trying to help myself improve my well being try light exercise i do thi chi i find this helps no end as it does build you up slowly & it just makes you feel better about yourself   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.