Severe COPD - long term outlook + diet

Posted , 5 users are following.

I guess I'm asking a question for which there is no real answer, but will give it a go anyway.  My dad (71 y/o) was diagnosed with end stage COPD 8 months ago after a fairly rapid decline in his breathing ability to the point where the slightest exertion and he's suffering from severe hypoxia.  A mild heart attack brought things to a head, which is when they also discovered throught he x-rays he likely has lung cancer - tumours discovered in the right lung, and has probably spread to lymph nodes in the left lung.  All are in inaccessable places so they would have to operate to do a biopsy to confirm it's cancer but surgery is out of the question because of his breathing is so weak.  The doctor more or less said his lungs are kaput and it's all about easing the symptoms now, so now he's on 2L of oxygen a day with an oxygenator machine at home.

Since then he's been going steadily downhill and has lost a lot of weight and muscle mass.  But refuses to eat, and what eating he does do is just rubbish (cakes, sugary drinks).  Is there anything we can do to try and bhoy up his weight because I fear we are on the slide into oblivion now.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Kevin

I am nearly at the stage as your father, so perhaps I have an understanding how he feels. I hate to say it, but we are all going to die, some earlier some later. As dar as I am concerned it is more important to me that any time I have left is as enjoyable as it can be . A a few moments of joy is worth a few days shorter. So realy is what I am saying is let your dad eat what he wats and get any enjoyment he can from whatever he chooses to do and you will be his wonderful son if you can help him achieve that. Sorry if its not what you want to hear. Best wishes to all the family and your dad for the future.

• Posted

Thanks for that.  My old man is a fighter that's for sure, he crashed his car last week which has taken away the last bit of independence he had, more worryinglly it triggered a COPD exacerbation and he stopped responding to treatment.  He's made of strong stuff evidently, as even the doctors were surprised he somehow, miraculously turned the corner when things were starting to look ominous.  I accept though where it's all heading - guess it's a case of expect the worst but hope for the best as they say.
    • Posted

Hello johnday. A 'newbie' here I would simply like to say from experience it is far better to follow your wise advice, as you are quite right. Both my parents didn't want to worry me as I don't wish to worry my child. But you know Kevin it is better to simply give way, indulge him in whatever he needs, anything at all that makes him happy. It's important to keep the spirit happy regardless of our physical beings which might let us down.I have found a sense of humour can help very much too.
  • Posted

hi kevin i have c.o.p. d im 61 i stopped using the inhalers about 6 months ago i honestly believe they do more harm than good i decided to change my diet i have given up anything with wheat in it after watching on youtube wheatbelly and stopped drinking milk and anything with milk in it im sure we are being poisened by the government you said your father wont eat have you tried juicing fruit and veg he may find it easier to drink juice, i juice every day all the best
  • Posted

Let your dad enjoys his life as he wants.I'm very sure he will be fine.

He must reduce snacking on sugary foods and try sweeteners instead of sugar in drinks.

Regular exercise can help him too.biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.