severe depression since being diagnosed with asthma

Posted , 4 users are following.

i've had severe depression since having an asthma attack & being diagnosed with mild persistent asthma. it sounds silly because it is mild but i was told that even though my asthma is mild it could still kill me, i have been taking my inhalers but also crying non stop at the slightest sign of breathing problems. i cant stop thinking about death and how my family needs me and how they would be sad if i died. i also have had occasional thoughts about how i would rather die in other ways than from asthma, or that i am doomed to die from an asthma attack. i cant get rid of the depression, it and the asthma are eating me alive

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

What a shame that you are suffering so much. I have asthma and need to take the purple inhaler and the blue inhaler.I also have an emergency pack of antibiotics and steroids in case I have a bad episode, because if left untreated it brings on my bronchial problems which could be serious if left unchecked.

However, although it can kill in certain conditions it is still very unlikely as long as it is caught early on.

Try not to worry yourself as anxiety could bring on an attack, with time you will feel better able to live with asthma, as do many hundreds of thousands each day,

Mike.

• Posted

First of all we are human beings and we all have to die one day. Secondly there is no hard and fast rule that you will die of an asthma attack. How we will die only God knows. Thirdly and most important stop thinking about death and live each day well. By thinking that you will die soon you are only making yourself miserable and depressed. You then will be wasting your life away. Life is too precious and you are not so badly off when compared to others in worse condition.
  • Posted

Hi, I have severe asthma and have had plenty of attacks over the years and I'm still here.

It's horrible having asthma, struggling to breathe is a scary thing. It's hard I know but try not to worry about it as you could bring on an attack.

It's treatable if Caught early on. The thing I learned the hard way. I made myself worse a lot but putting off calling for an ambulance as felt I was wasting their time...I wasn't! I was actually told off for not calling sooner on many occasions. Sometimes it's just a case of the paramedics giving you a nebuliser.

I have my own nebuliser at home as mine is pretty bad. I was diagnosed 7 years ago and was so scary to begin with and still Is now but it does get easier. You learn to live with it. You will be fine, do you have an asthma nurse? If not it might be worth looking into. Mine is great. They will explain everything to you and answer any questions you have. Don't think you're silly because you're not. It's not a nice thing to have but like I say it's not the end of the world and it will get easier to handle.

Hope this helps xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.