severe diarrhea for nearly 2 weeks now...

Posted , 6 users are following.

*Hi, I need some advice, I've had severe diarrhea now for nearly two weeks .. It all started when I was working during the evening of the 12th and my tummy suddenly started gurgling and I then needed to rush to the toilet where I had severe diarrhea.. I haven't been back to work since, I've had plenty of water, soup, toast, banana, etc.. taken imodium and mabeverine (prescribed by the walk in centre!) and I'm still the same, I get the occasional abdominal cramp and bloating... I've recently put in a stool sample at my doctors and am awaiting the results, I'm due a blood test on monday. I'm also on sertraline 50mg and have been for 3 weeks now. Does anyone know what it could be as i'm starting to worry now! *

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It can be a case of food poisoning, or some common bacterial infection. If it's Hpylori infection, doctor can tell you only after blood and stool test.

• Posted

Sertraline can cause diarrhoea. Try coming off this medication to see if your diarrhoea clears up. There could be a connection between having diarrhoea for two weeks and being on sertraline for three weeks. The other possibility is IBS.

• Posted

I thought it was IBS too, I had been tested for IBS about 3 months ago, having done about 5 stool samples, they all came back normal. I know that Anxiety can cause ibs symptoms., but this has gone on to long. Imodium doesn't stop my diarrhea. **

• Posted

There is no test for IBS. IBS can only be diagnosed by ruling out other causes. If all tests are normal, IBS can be diagnosed. A negative stool sample does not mean you don't have IBS. It means you don't have an infection in your gut such as h pylori for example. IBS is a functional condition which doesn't show on any scan or test. I would still try coming off the anti depressant which can cause diarrhoea. Anti depressants can be very toxic. IBS can also cause diarrhoea on top of this anti depressant side effect.

If you are anxious, there are more natural treatments to help you relax such as relaxation therapy. I can get very anxious, but I take nothing for it and this works for me. IBS flare ups can last days, weeks or even months. There is no exact timescale for IBS to last; everyone is different. Anxiety can cause IBS episodes to last longer. Mebeverine can help stop diarrhoea for some people if you have IBS but it too can cause side effects. I have IBS and can't take Mebeverine. It made me feel so much worse, I thought I had something far worse than IBS.

Try a food diary to see if a food is causing diarrhoea which can also happen with IBS. Seriously consider though possible anti depressant side effects. Codeine based painkillers can also. help stop diarrhoea.

In the meantime, wait until all your tests come back.

• Posted

Hey there is a medication called dicyclomine and it helps me with my stomach its called bentyl

• Posted

try a flora 50 billion critical care probiotic.worked for me! Took about 2 weeks and and it stopped, still take one a day.nothing showed up in my TESTS Said i probably had IbS?Had diarrhea for 7 months.Do you still have your gall bladder?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.