Severe disability premium

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi just been told I've been given the premium but they say the back pay takes longer and they got to see if I've got arrears from any other benefits is this normal

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Yup sounds normal to me. Back dated money always takes a little longer. I have to admit the claim itself was extremely quick. Not sure what they mean by arrears from other benefits though.

• Posted

I no they said 4 to 6 weeks for arrears and they said we check first see if you owe any overpayments/arrears on any other benefits

• Posted

There's no other benefits lol. The only thing that affects a claim for SDP is if someone claims carers allowance for looking after you. As you've been awarded SDP i've no idea why they said this. DWP are funny and they make me laugh sometimes.

• Posted

I no lol they rang me and said you been awarded the premium so I said is there any back pay they said dnt no I'll get someone to call you back 3 days they have to call they said and they check if you have any overpayments you would think they would just call once it's all sorted lol

• Posted

Ahhh right just I have tax credit debts of 400 old debts didn't no if they ment that

• Posted

Hi that's great news, yes it's not a fast turnaround and if you have any outstanding overpayments etc they will and can take it from your benefits as long as it doesn't cause hardship

• Posted

It shouldn't unless you didn't inform them that you weren't entitled to some or all of it

• Posted

No the tax credit overpayment is from tax credits I received when I was married some years ago

• Posted

If you're responsible for the over payment then yes HMRC have authority to request payment from your existing benefits, with the exception of the PIP claim. They can't request payment be taken from this.

• Posted

Thank you just so I can expect any back pay to be less due to tax credit arrears wasn't sure if they would as they not attached to my esa I pay arrears voluntary

• Posted

I never said it would be, i said they can request it. I really have no idea what the DWP are talking about when they say arrears from other benefits. Answering this sort of question is totally impossible for anyone on an internet forum.

You can either ring them back tomorrow morning or wait to see what money you receive. Only they will be able to answer any of your questions about back pay at this point.

• Posted

Wow dwp are mad they called me today said you need to send us council tax letters to prove I live alone I said ok but I was told it is in payment then she said oh it is why haven't your arrears been done like I should no lol

• Posted

I did think it was rather quick lol. I'm afraid you'll just have to wait until you receive that letter. A claim for SDP generally takes at least 3 weeks, sometimes longer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.