Severe disability premium question

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi i might be moving into a new place after living with family and im on pip ongoing award and esa i have a carer who are family members who will take turns staying with me as i can't be on my own because of mental health issues can I claim severe disability premium as they have there own homes also my address change will it trigger a new f2f

0 likes, 4 replies


4 Replies

  • Posted

    You can claim sdp as long as no-one is claiming carers allowance for you. If they are then you can't, even if you are living alone.

  • Posted

    Sorry, I'm assuming you're on daily living. If not and only mobility then you can't either way

  • Posted


    If you have a daily living award of PIP and Income related ESA, no one claims Carers Allowance for looking after you and you either live alone or classed as living alone then yes you can claim SDP.

    Your change of address will not trigger another face to face for either of your benefits.

    One thing that maybe an issue for you is that if the area you move to is a full Universal Credit area and you have to claim housing benefit (LHA) then you will have to claim Universal Credit and not housing benefit. If you have to claim UC because of this then your ESA will swtich at the same time. If this does happen then the premiums are not paid on Universal Credit, therefore you won't be enitled to it.

    Best advice i can give you is to google UC postcode checker (links can't be posted here) and pop your new post into the link and it will tell you if the area you're moving to is a full UC area or not.


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up