Severe Diverticulosis/SIBO

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’m not new to this forum, was diagnosed with Diverticulitis in Feb, along with that came Anxiety and panic attacks, then developed abscess and was on antibiotics for a month. Had not felt the same cince. After Drs did Cat Scans, blood work, Endoscopy, stool tests,and colonoscopy everything is normal just have severe Diverticulosis. But still not well in tummy, so had breath test and now have Hydrogen SIBO. Just finished antibiotics, so I guess my question is did anyone else with this DD develope any othe gut issues? IBS? The diets are so very different. I’ve lost 40 lbs in 5 months and scared to have another flare up. This last round of antibiotics kicked my ass and made me very constipated. I take miralax nightly, and only poo once or twice in 2 days. Any suggestions or help pls. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry Vickie.  I am doing the Miralax about once a week.  My Dr suggested magnesium daily for constipation.  My brother in law is a pharmacist and he said to do Slow Magnesium which absorbs slowly in the body and works better he says.  I started with one every morning and one at night but I had to go to two every morning and 2 before bed to get the desired results which were a regular BM every day.  Sometimes now I have 2  BM's daily.  I am still on pretty low fiber foods. I am not eating raw vegetables or raw fruit or fiber cereals.  I am eating cooked carrots, green beans, radishes and potatoes and some cooked spinach two or three times a week.  I suggest you try the slow magnesium and see if it helps in coordination with the miralax.  If  you get the runs that is too much magnesium so cut back on the dose.  I have been very pleased with the results since I was a nervous wreck only going every 2 or 3 days for a BM.  I am also taking a strong probiotic daily which I think helps with that too.

Blessings to you,

Georgie

• Posted

Thank you that helps a lot, I take a probiotic also daily. I eat chicken, fish, spinach, carrots, asparagus, and smoothies with coconut water,pineapple and a banana, also with blueberries and spinach. To change it up. On the SCD diet now for the SIBO, so diets are so diff. Cannot have my rice or mashed potatoes bread and any high fiber. Or raw veggies. I just started adding squashes and avocado. And keep a food journal but it’s hard to tell what foods upset me cuz tummy always uncomfortable. Just wish it would get better. 😢

• Posted

It could be the blueberries and spinach are too much especially together.  I am still figuring all this out myself but you have added a lot more to your diet vegetable wise than I have been brave enough to do.  When I brought in blueberries at the suggestion of the dietician I did fine at first but a few weeks later I had another attack.  I am 8 weeks from that attack now and I am not going to do blueberries for awhile.  That is the only thing I can tell that brought it on. But of course who knows what brings it on??  I have been afraid of squash.  I need to bring more vegetables back in- cooked of course! 

I am taking a a multi vitamin and calcium, fish oil, probiotic 20 billion, and the magnesium 2x  a day.  I wonder if I need more suppliments?  I worry that I am not getting enough vitamins.  I am also walking over a mile a day, working towards two miles.  I had wondered about smoothies.  I am such a chicken I keep eating the same things because it works and I don;t want to upset the balance and have another attack.  

Hang in there!  I wish we could have a sit down with those who have this under control to hear what we should eat and how soon and how much etc!

• Posted

I totally agree about diet, I was still on Diverticulitis diet, and slowly adding more foods in , then got SIBO so it’s a whole diff diet. So confusing, cuz don’t want to have a flare up, I see GI dietitian in hopes of answers cuz I’m so hungry and losing weight to fast. Miss my potatoes and yams and bread.ugh. Tired of fish and chicken. But afraid to add new foods. Terrible disease. Thanks for your advice. 🙏🌺🌸 Today I’m doing liquids only and broth till I figure out the constapation it uncomfortable. 😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.