Severe divirticilitis pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone.  I was diagnosed with divirticulitis about 4 months ago. Got antibiotics and felt better immediately.  The doctor did not mention any permanent meds or changes, so I thought that was it. However I’m experiencing the same pain again.   Is this something I will suffer from the rest of my life? What makes it better?  Also, the pain I experienced started with pelvic floor pain, then it became severe, like the worst menstruatal cramps I’ve ever had, but then the pain moved to my left side.  Is it normal to experience menstrual like cramps?  The same pattern of pain happened last time I visited a doctor, so I was unsure if it was something I needed a gyno to check out.  I told the doc that treated me for divirticulitis about the m nstrual like cramps and she wasn’t sure it was linked to divirticulitis.  I’m currently in pain.  The pain goes from mild to severe.  Last night I could not even walk from the pain.  

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had a similar pain . I had a glass of water before each meal and it helped.
  • Posted

Hi Liz,

I have been going through the same type of pain you’re describing it’s horrible and my doctor and my natural path both think that I have IBS going along with this diverticulitis issue and definitely that my diet is coming into play with it .   I have had  over 10 bouts of this diverticulitis in the past year and it gets awful on the only thing that helps me is heating pad just bio and Advil if it’s really bad and chamomile tea.

I hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Yes! I had to fill my bathtub with hot water and just sit there to alleviate the pain and also took some aleve.  Thanks for sharing.  Not glad you are going through this but it feels good to know I’m not alone.   
  • Posted

I hate that so many people suffer with this.  I am going to keep a food diary to see what foods cause these flares.  Do you wonder why we just don’t have surgery?  This gets so annoying!!!
    • Posted

Surgery has it's place, certainly for complications like fistula, blockage, perforation, peritonitis.  However, from the posts on here, surgery has NOT solved all the problems and has sometimes caused more (recurrence of the disease, hernias, infections), so it needs VERY careful consideration.  My cousin, who is in the medical profession, advised me strongly against surgery for preventative reasons only, and urged daily management.  But I accept it's an individual choice in the USA (not in the UK - they never operate unless an emergency).

• Posted

Hi Liz

Sorry to hear you have joined us sufferers.  I too got the awful swamping cramps and the nurse at my GP, who is also a sufferer, said it was just like giving birth, only worse.  I also get bladder pain, frequency and urgency.  For about a year I was treated for bladder infections, then told I had irritable bladder syndrome.  So toiletting problems come with Diverticular Disease.

Anyway as you seem to be having a flare up you need to see your doctor to check your temperature/blood for fever, chills and infection, then if necessary get more antibiotics to knock this on the head before it gets worse.  Please don't allow yourself to be fobbed off on the phone.  It is a disease for life but with diet and lifestyle changes, it can be managed.  I have had it for 17 Years.  I was prescribed a stool softener Fybogel which I have taken daily all these years.  It bulks and softens the stools, makes them easier to pass (you don't want to be straining with DD), and keeps me regular (although more frequent than before).  For the pain I take paracetemol and a hot water bottle, and I am prescribed Mebeverine for the cramps.

For management:  If you suspect you are starting an attack, immediately go on a 48 hour clear liquid diet, to give the bowels a rest and hopefully settle down.

During an attack:  Stay on the fluids then as you feel better slowly introduce low residue foods without fibre.  The post DiviDiners is a good source of information.  This will include things like mash, steamed fish, grilled chicken, yogurt, eggs, meal replacement drinks, broth, jelly, clear apple juice, tea/coffee.

After the antibiotics:  Slowly reintroduce fibre (soluble rather than insoluble) in small portions, cook thoroughly and chew well.  Keep a food diary and make a note of anything that upsets you.  That way you can identify trigger foods which you will need to avoid in future.  Mine are gluten and full fat.

Doctors seem to be pretty useless with this disease, but that is partly because everyone is different, and what is right for one person is not right for others.  Some cannot eat red meat, dairy, nuts, skins, seeds, popcorn, beetroot - all sorts of different things - which I can.  Also as they are not sufferers, they have no idea of the excruciating pain, the depression and lethargy it causes, the side effects of the illness and drugs, and just how long it can take to recover - weeks of you are lucky, much longer if you are not.  I do not mean to sound negative, just realistic.  The important thing to remember is you WILL feel better in time, and learn to manage.  If you live in the UK, you have to, as the treatment is much less proactive than the USA!  Not necessarily a bad thing as sometimes the USA doctors push for surgery rather than management.  Best wishes

• Posted

Oh my gosh.. I was had this first come up about 4 months ago and I thought it would go away and never cone back.  The doc did not mention this could return.  She didn’t even give me any advice or anything.  Reading all this information is scary.. bu I appreciate the advice.  I definitely need to do some research and make some changes.  Just seems like it will be a long road.  I already have thyroid issues to deal with sad.  But things can always be worse.  This is just something I need to learn to manage. 
  • Posted

PELVIC FLOOR PAIN... oh my gosh! that is a horrible pain. Before being diagnosed, I didn't ever KNOW I had a floor of my pelvic ... I DO NOW! I thought I had a UTI the pain was so bad. I no longer menstruate, but remember the pain.

Ibuprofen, feet elevated, rest and TIME seemed to ease it for me.

Hugs,

Kerry

• Posted

Same here.. no idea what pelvic floor pain was.  Thought I had a cyst or something.. the pain was unbearable.  I’ve been taking Aleve but pain is not completely gone.  I have a doc appointment tomorrow.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.