Severe existential anxiety, any advice would be appreciated

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone! so for the last 2 or so years I've had my anxiety and depression under control, but a few months ago I had a really weird and stressful situation happen to me.

I won't go into it because its a really long story, but essentially it has to do with religion and my friends bible study group. Before any of this happened I wasn't religious at all, I wasn't raised religious and I rarely ever even thought about whether there was a god or not. But after I was introduced to this bible study group and fully introduced to christianity, I've had extreme existential anxiety. like im constantly terrified of the idea of obedience and faith to god, and the idea of sin and hell. because i like how i viewed the world before all this happened, i believed everthing was random and we created our own meaning, but now im questioning everthing ive ever known or believed. like it feels like i dont know what's right or wrong anymore

but lately ive felt trapped between "what's the point of being a good person"/"what even is good and bad" and terrified of being a bad person. This makes me scared to lose feelings of empathy, sympathy, and compassion towards others. I want to feel these feelings fully but how can I when there may be no point to it. But then if I think there may be a point to it i get scared about god and religion and then feel that I'm unable to create my own meaning.

I dont know if any of that made sense, i tried my best to put my thoughts into words. i dont know if any one else here has felt anything like this, because no one i talk to understands. Any advice would be appreciated. Also i have no animosity towards christianity or any other religions, it just scares me

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

these are battles christians have. On YouTube search on 'Joshua 1' and select the calvary chapel one, see what you make of it

cheers

Richard

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

As an obviously articulate and therefore intelligent member of the human race,you're likely to be curious about many aspects of humanity,be it religion(organised or not),science,nature etc.

Take it from me,you do not have to prostrate yourself in order to please other genuinely decent people,even if they live in a slightly separate reality to yourself,due to their closely held and often sincerely precious belief systems.

Religion on a regular basis isn't for everyone,and is always ripe picking grounds for complete and utter hypocrisy,as you can see from some of the well known utter scumbags in Westminster Abbey televised during the xmas period,or when one of their equally vile members/friends eventually pops their clogs....'Ding Dong' anyone?

For example - What do you reckon would be the fate of Jesus Christ if he were reborn tomorrow,and the authorities got to know about it?

I've got a pretty good idea,and I suspect you have too.

My life rule is very simple,and nothing to do with a fear of God - If we can genuinely help someone with their struggle,then do so.

Even if it's simply helping someone elderly and/or disabled to get their shopping into their car or onto their disability scooter,it's a simple act that most will appreciate,which is no big deal in the grand scheme of things,but it's always a positive,rather than a negative action.

Buddhism is something I've always been interested in,especially the non-judgemental aspect,(having myself 'judged' the congregation above...oh well!)though I'm far too much of a slacker to follow it to the Nth degree,and only visit the local house/temple once or twice a year,mainly because I need that calmness due to being seriously stressed out,mainly by those whose only God is money.

Take care,and maybe look into some breathing exercises as a starter,which usually help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.