Severe flank and back pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi! 

I’m currently at my wits end and wondering if anybody else recognised my symptoms....

A few weeks ago I started getting an aching pain in my lower abdomen with lower back ache. It started in waves but has gotten worse and I’ve now been in agony for 2 days with it constantly getting worse, especially if I cough, make sudden movement or press to the left of my belly button. 

I have a history of ovarian cysts, irregular periods and I’m trying to conceive. However, negative pregnancy tests have ruled that out and I’ve been to the GP who has confirmed it’s not a UTI. However, they did find a trace of blood in my urine today. They’ve referred me for an ultrasound (wait time is 6 weeks) and sent my urine off for analysis but won’t treat me in the meantime (it’ll take a week for results). 

I’m completely exhausted and taking various painkillers every day, none of which get rid of the pain (it just turns to a dull ache). 

It’s only down my left side, from my hip up to my ribs now (originally started in my pelvis) and I can barely stand up straight. I’m also extremely bloated and urinating more (no burning pain though). I don’t have a fever, blood pressure normal but heart rate was fast when the GP checked my obs. I just don’t know what to do as the doctors are in no rush but I’m stuck at home every day in agony, it’s keeping me awake at night and I’m trying to look after a toddler :-( 

Does anybody recognise any of this? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well location is usualy saying a lot...but here i can tell you few options.

1. Pulled muscle/nerve - can last few weeks or months if not looked after

2. Gallbladder stones - sharp pain...sometimes dull. Depends individual...indigestion...stomach cramps...

3. Pancreatis - sharp pain....usualy cause swollen pancreas and pain at almost 24/7.

4. Liver issue - fatty liver....you dont need to be obese to have it... It cause dull pain and can shoot up to rib cage..back...both sides... Doesnt go away with painkillers...but can come and go....

There are many more... Like ulcer...hernia...gastritis...ibs... and thenlist goes on...

Its very difficult to diagnose such a condition... But i would start with endoscopy and complete blood screening...

Best of luck

Hint: i only stated sine options it could be any of them or some of them combined....

• Posted

Sounds like a kidney stone to me, especially if just on waist line, and more to the back than front, nothing worse than kidney stones, and not much you can do for them, except painkillers. 

If big enough Dr's might consider smashing them hospital procedure, and then afterwards you pass all the smashed up bits, back to being in agony for a number of hours until you pass them. 

Drink lots if it is a kidney stone it will help move it along.

How do I know this, have had a number of kidney stones over the years, one lasted nearly a week, not good news from your point of view, but eventually did pass it in hospital just as the Dr's were starting to get really worried, urine black or closer to dark brown.

• Posted

I can't see what you have I'm not a physician I used to get a lot of urinary tract infections with backache and stomach pain and I know you have to wait till the cultures done so you might want to go to the health food store and get some 100% cranberry juice drink as much of that as you can along with a lot of pure water because that will help dilute a lot of that stuff in your bladder and may help until the culture comes back cranberries and cranberry juice has to be a hundred percent are always good for urinary tract infections if that's what you have and and lots of water but make sure it says purified water I know the wait is not fun.

• Posted

If your pain gets worse, ask for the ultrasound to be brought forward.  You might get a cancellation.  I was told to do this when I had constant abdominal pain.   You could always go straight to A&E.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.