Severe flare

Posted , 21 users are following.

Ive been off  pred for six weeks now, was on it for three years and did the slow taper. Was doing ok for a while, taking only Tylenol or Aleve but suddenly all of what I had three years ago is back. Can barely walk so using a cane, neck and shoulders so stiff and achy and groin pain is just horrible.

im only 65 and going to see a neurologist next week. I know my rheumatologist will want to put me back on the pred but so nervous about starting it again.

my question is should I just test the waters by taking 5 mil to see what happens or first have new blood work done and then start it.

worked so hard to get off the pred but cannot go on like this, the side effects for me were not to bad but I did lose lots of hair and got dry eye......but now my life is just pain day after day and I can't suffer any more.

thanks,

Sharyn

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,  Why wait for the blood test especially when you are in such pain?  So often the blood work does not rise much at all, if at all, as was my case, and I was practically crippled before I started pred.  Please help yourself NOW!  Good luck!    Elinor
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.

you are right, the only reason was for doctor to be able to compare the before pred and after. Yes usually little or no difference, as a matter of fact after three years of having pmr my blood numbers were always pretty normal.

• Posted

I’m always wondering if my blood work is different if I’m feeling better vs excruciating pain...ie inflammation affecting things.   I feel like I should have it drawn when I’m at my worst.    🤔

• Posted

Hi Sharon,  Why wait fo the blood tests when you are having such pain, which I sincerely sympathize with.  The labs don't always show much of an increase, if any, as was my case, and I was practically crippled before PMR.  Many doctors depend way too much on the blood test results, but you know how you feel.  In your case I'd start with 10mg. to get yourself in less pain.  It doesn't have to be forever.  Good luck!  Elinor  (a 2 1/2 yr. PMR veteran)

• Posted

As Michdonn said, life is way too short.  I won’t add up the days that I’ve lost to PMR, and it’s only been six months.   My concerns about prednisone have been eclipsed by being able to get out of bed and take care of my family.  I’m supposed to be under 10, but 12.5 seems to be the magic number.  Currently.  I’ll have , according to my kids,” T-Rex” hands the next day. 😆  I’ll continue to see my rheumatologist every 5 weeks, and have lab work done.   Wishing you the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.