Severe gastric ulcer pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. Last month I was diagnosed with a gastric ulcer. I was prescribed Sucralfate and Omeprazole and I was doing okay. I wasn't quite eating a healthy diet with it though but after a month into the meds the pain had started to subside.

Last week I went to refill my prescription and the pharmacy said they were having a manufacturer shortage of sucralfate and and I ended up getting it 5 days later. In those 5 days I thought I was going to die. It felt like all the progress I had made with the pain was gone.

I finally got it back about a week ago and the first 2 days the pain didn't subside (It did after only the first day the first time I had taken it last month) so I thought to change my diet. I'm only eating bland foods, mostly veggies now and staying away from red meat and anything with a kick to it. However the pain is still constant and never ending. The only time I get some relief is when I'm sleeping. My stool also has been very "fluffy" lately and it doesn't seem like I'm digesting everything properly. I'll see parts of undigested vegetable is there. I also keep losing weight as I only weigh 110 now and I'm 5 11.

Is this normal? How long am I looking at for recover? Is there anything I can do for the constant pain? It is particularly bad when I go to work and walk around (I work in retail.) I am also worried about my weight and that after years of eating unhealthy my body is having trouble adapting to the change in diet. I'm only 27 and have never experienced anything like this.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What no nausea. Ulcer pain brings on nausea in most case's. Ask your pcp for help in managing your pain. I know it hurts bad I went through a bad ulcer before. I lost 40 pounds thought I was dying. Finally got the right meds got cured. Hope you recover from this soon. Good Luck.

• Posted

Hey kevin ... how did the doctor diagnosed that u had an ulcer? Did they performed an endoscopy? Thanks
    • Posted

Sorry for the late reply. But no scope open was done. The doctor just guessed that it was an ulcer because I of my nsaid habit. But I haven't taken one since this started almost 3 months ago.

• Posted

My grandad cured his ulcer by drinking milk. Maybe the medication doesn't agree with your stomach..  You may have had rebound symptoms from being off your meds when you had difficulty getting them.

• Posted

Hey guys. So lately I've been having stools with little black flakes. Is this blood? They usually look like someone sprinkled pepper on my stools. I had one last night though that looked a big black scab or plum skin. I've not been eating peppery foods or plums.

• Posted

Try a food diary to see what might be causing the black flakes. Maybe it is from a food dye or a food that has not be digested properly. It may be a dark vegetable skin or another dark fruit other than plum. Are you eating anything else that is dark coloured?  Are you taking any medication that has a black casing? Check inside the casing to see if the powdered medication contained there is black. This may explain the black pepper appearance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.