Severe GB pain continues for years after surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Four years ago I reluctantly consented to allowing my surgeon to use the robotic surgery to remove my GB.  I have never regretted anything more.  The "small incision" was huge.  Over 5" vertical through my belly button.  Within a few days an infection developed, and 8 weeks of antibiotics later I thought all was well.  Wrong again.  The incision site was very sore.  I continued to have all the same problems that I had with digestion prior to the surgery.  Then a hernia in the incision began to develop, and was the size of half a football before I got the surgeon to listen to me and repair it.

He kept telling me that the nausea and the food intolerance would resolve soon.  He explained that the liver has to take over for the GB (I already knew this) Now four years later the stomach problems are worse.  I can't eat hardly anything, I am sick of mashed potatoes and puddings.  Literally everything I eat wants to come back.  I finally quit work so I could stay home and suffer in private.  I don't go out with friends any longer, can't eat any of the foods that I managed to eat before the surgery.

The doctors have no answers except that maybe a "small" piece of GB was left behind, or a calcification (stone) from inside the GB is still in a duct.  Speculations, but no answers.  Nothing shows on the scans.  None of the doctors can explain the severe pain in the phantom GB.

Has anyone else had these problems. God, I hope not.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to learn you've been suffering with this.  Were you were referred by your gp to a surgeon consultant, rather than a gastroenterologist?  Have gone for a second opinion and for additional tests?  You seem to be just about at the end of your rope. xx

• Posted

I am so sorry your feeling like this, I am reading more and mores tories about long term issues that I am seriously considering just putting up with my gallbladder and issues, rather than ending worse off sad I hope they find out whats going on x
  • Posted

Emmabeth, I hurt for you and understand what you are going through. Let me tell you my story, and maybe there is a silver lining.

Here is the short version: 22 months ago I had my gallbladder out after suffering a year with on again off again nausea and not being able to eat without getting sick. I thought the surgery would solve my problems. The surgery went fine, and i felt good for 2 months. Then it all started again but worse.

I had multiple tests done at 4 major hospitals which showed a peptic ulcer, a small hernia, acid reflux and bile. I thought the ulcer was the problem, but it cleared up, and I was still sick. By this time 13 months had gone by. I couldn't function, was in the bed most of the time, couldn't eat, lost so much weight and was malnourished which caused exterme weakness. I finally went into the hospital with dehydration were I was prescribed carafate, welchol and a antideperssant which was also a appitite stimulate. That was in June of 2016. Very slowly I began to improve. I started having 1 or 2 good days a month.

Today I went to the grocery store and ran several errands. I still can't work and certainly don't feel 100%, but it such an improvment. Progress is so slow!

Most people have this surgery and do just fine and then there are the rest of us.

You will get better, but it may take some time.

If you have any questions, please ask.

• Posted

I had surgery 2 months ago and was doing fine at first now the pain is back. My GOP said it might be acid reflux or ulcers and prescribed Sucralfate. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.