Severe glucocorticoid induced osteoporosis at 29

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, my name is Nick. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with  pemphigus vulgaris, an autoimmune disease of the skin and mucous membranes. According to established treatment protocols, I was put on high dose prednisone treatment (mean dose 80 mg) for about 4 months and an immunosuppressant adjuvant drug (Myfortic). During this time 

-My condition slowly improved

-I developed severe osteoporosis over just 4 months ( -4.0 spine) accompanied by a total of 12 vertebral fractures that cost me 4 inches of height and led to agonizing pains

Initially I only complained of mild back pain, which the dermatologists responsible for my treatment promptly ignored. Eventually I visited a rheumatologist who suggested a bone mass density scan and x ray ( by this point I could barely walk from the crippling pains) that revealed the sad truth : -4.0 spine (femur was fine)  and 12 fractures.

I was immediately put on teriparatide treatment (Forsteo) and when the fractures healed (about 3 months after starting forsteo) began physio. All this in 2017.

It is now more than a year later, my prednisone is down to 5mg for the past 7 months and despite my intensive therapy and restoration work outs (which I still do for more than 3 hours per week) , my spine score has dropped further to [b]-4.5 [b] . Thankfully I have suffered no more fractures, I am not in pain and due to the restoration of my core muscles, I have regained 2 inches in height (the rest is gone forever due to the deformation of the vertebrae) …

Honestly, the future seems pretty bleak, rheumy says I have some sort of genetic predisposition to glucocorticoid osteoporosis and as long as I take even 1 mg of prednisone my bones will continue to worsen. At the same time I cannot stop the prednisone or lower it further because pemphigus is right around the corner.

It has been an uphill battle for the past 2 years and no end is in sight, I just needed to vent, please excuse my pessimism and thank you for reading my story

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I think we are still at the beginning, the frontier, of understanding all the causes of osteoporosis. I sustained a compression fracture L-4, by following doctor's orders using specific machines at the gym to increase core strength. Hang in there, you are not alone.

• Posted

Thank you for the kind words Dee, I am sorry to hear about your fracture...

I know patience is all we've got at this point, but forsteo treatment is only supposed to last for 2 years and it doesn't seem to be working in my case. I am very worried I will have to stay on prednisone for life with no efficient anti osteoporotic treatment and consequently my bones will continue to go brittle. I already have the spine of a 100+ year old person so...

• Posted

Hi, when you have the L4 compression fracture did you feel anything?

• Posted

Dear Nick, please don't give up. Hope and pray. Warm regards, DeidreMarie

• Posted

Hi Nick, just wanted to say that I was very moved by your story - it puts my own osteoporosis issues into perspective.  Like Dee I just want to wish you well, stay strong and take care of yourself. 

• Posted

I don't know if it will be of use to you as your situation is very different, but there may be some helpful information in a post I made on another forum.  Google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey.

Good Luck! 🍀

• Posted

Thank you, I read your post thoroughly. I have been following a nearly identical regimen for more than a year now, ever since my osteo was diagnosed the rheumatologist suggested vitamin d3 ,k2, calcium and magnesium supplementation along with increasingly intense cardio. I also take cod liver oil daily (1 table spoon) and obviously avoid junk food and sugars entirely. Lots of fruit, vegetables (mostly steamed) and grilled fish like mackerel, salmon and the like. All this has significantly improved my overall health and core muscles which had completely atrophied from the steroids and have protected me from further fracturing of the spine.

Unfortunately the bones show no improvement at all and even in x rays the doctors have a hard time actually seeing the vertebrae since they are so weak and don't reflect the beams properly.

Worst of all is the condescending attitude of the dermatologists who did this to me (who I am still forced to visit regularly because of my autoimmune condition). They insist I see a psychiatrist to help me cope... I wish I weren't so frail so that I could smash a chair on their heads but i'm not supposed to lift heavy stuff. Seeing all these professionals who initially assured me that everything was going to be alright now suggest that I need antidepressants because I don't have the right attitude has made me lost all faith in medicine. I understand they followed the proper guidelines for my treatment and probably had little way of knowing I would react so badly to it, but if following guidelines is all they can do then they're no better than computers

• Posted

That's a rather shabby attitude on the part of your medical people.  It's not as if you've chosen to have these problems!  Just a word of caution, though.  I've read repeatedly on this and another forum that we need to be very careful with cod liver oil.  Yes, it's a great source of Vitamin D, but  it's also a good source of Vitamin A and we can overdose on Vitamin A.  A tablespoon of cod liver oil seems like a rather large dose to me, certainly the maximum, most people would probably take a teaspoon.  That being said, the retinol form of Vitamin A which is what's found in cod liver oil is supposed to be good for us and is different from the carotenoids in vegetables.  Best make sure that the particular product you're using doesn't exceed the recommended daily intake of Vitamin A.  

Are you under the guidance of a professional, like an experienced physiotherapist, who can help you exercise safely to regain some strength, which in turn will help you stimulate those bones to start getting more dense again?

• Posted

Yes, I visited a physical rehabilitation center twice a week for about 6 months. After I rebuilt some muscle mass and the fractures healed the doctor suggested I no longer needed  rehab physio and  told me to try weight training, squats, etc. Most of the physio exercises I still do at home every other day, I also have some small weights and do basic lifting to further strengthen the core. I also walk at a fast pace for about 60 minutes every day...I wish I could jog, I used to run 5 miles daily but it is prohibited at this point because me fracture risk is still very high. Unfortunately, -4.5 score + 12 fractures is very different from -4.5 and no fractures he says.

I have definitely regained strength, I no longer have the terrible kyphotic posture like I used to, also regained 2.5 inches in height but am still shorter than I used to. I also have regular blood tests every 2 months to monitor enzymes, electrolytes and vitamin d among other things ( vitamin is 45 ng/mL now, up from 20 last year). When the prednisone was tapered to 5mg per day, my hormones also returned to their normal ranges, especially my testosterone which was way below normal ranges for a 29 year old male.

All in all, everything seems fine on paper, except for the bones ofc. Could be they need more time. Unfortunately I ran out of forsteo in less than a year and don't  really feel comfortable with Prolia, especially after the updated FDA statement rolleyes

• Posted

Sounds like you are doing everything that you can.  I agree about Prolia.  If it's a lifetime drug it's best left for the 80 year olds.  And you are right.  Bone takes a long time to turn over.  What you are trying to do is have the bone building cells work well and hopefully all you've been doing will get you there eventually.  But it is tough.  Almost a full time activity.  All the best.

• Posted

Dear Nick,

I have been diagnosed with Hypercalciuria. The calcium I injest, spills into my urine. I have been put on a diuretic for this condition. I've been told it is hereditary. But, I also have tinnitus. The diuretic can exacerbate my tinnitus 😯

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.