Severe Hair Loss

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello,

I am new to these forums. I found this site today, really helpful.

It is extremely interesting to read about your experiences with peri/meno!

I confess that I thought I might just scrape through without too many problems.  I talked to one lady who had absolutely no symptoms and was fine, to others who all mention hair loss, quite a few.

I am nearing my 52nd birthday, and since turning 50 I have noticed that may hair has just thinned out so much and with it my confidence.  It is bad;  I just don't recognise myself anymore...

Sunken eyes, dark circles, thin greying hair I look awful and somedays I just feel so weak.

Lately  I felt such pain and tighness in front on neck with some swelling and I fear my thyroid may be going awol, if not gone.

My skin is dry and I am cold.

Can anyone relate to these symptoms? Sorry my brain is foggy today hence meadnering  post here.

I do feel desperate as hair loss is just something else, when I wash it out it comes in strands and when I try and dry it is eveyrwhere, I get so weary clearing up bathroom afterwards...strange thing is I can't cry about it or get too depressed about it, just seems pointless,but I feel helpless, particulary about tightness and pain around throat area it;s a misery!

I could scream!  Does anyone have any ideas?  What should I do, GP won't listen and I am fedup of visiting them.

PS. My white cell count is very low and I wonder about this?

Sorry heavy first post I know, but just curious about your similar experiences or any ideas...thank you for reading! (off day today and can't string a sentence together!)

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

Sorry I have not been able to contribute to discussions or replies here, it is so helpful to visit this site and read your replies.

Sorry at present looking for a job so head down with applications  apart from when worrying about per symptoms.

Joy thank you so much for information and so very pleased that you found a doctor who listened to you, good for you. I will let you now how I go, but hope that you are now getting the help you need.

Jaynee helpful as ever so thanks for all vitamin information, good nutrition is vital, and have not forgotten to go and get my kel/magnesium  either so thanks for that.

Middlemum hope you are well, I actually have this book, and i have read a bit of it, but as usual, just a bit, but thanks for suggestion.

Actually one book I did buy on was Dr. Peatfields book "Your Thyroid", it is very good,, I have picked my way through this and he is very much the type of doctor who believes in looking and listening to the patient. ( Just like Dr. Skinner who was excellent too) and very much missed.

Thank you all!

• Posted

Hi Highlands! 

I stumbled onto your discussion concerning your hairloss, brain fog, low white blood count, etc... I really had to respond to you as I have the exact same symptoms.  I am 53, probably in menopause or post, not sure.  I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer in 2005 and I had my thyroid removed.  I have been struggling ever since, but, recently within the last year I have been losing tons of hair, I'm so depressed and I don't even know how to style it anymore.  This something that I never thought would happen to me either.  My mother is 89 and has tons of hair.  My late father had a lot of hair too!  I am suffering from, weight gain around middle and hips,  lack of energy, brain fog, joint pain and I don't have arthritis.(i've had it tested.)  I have 3 Doctors, one is Endocrinologist, a gyno and an holistic doctor and no one can seem to help me.   I'm honestly sick and tired.  

I am taking Armour thryroid 60mg 3 times a week and 90 mg of Armour Thryroid 4 times a week.  I used to take 60 mg 7 days a week and have recently uped my dosage by Dr's recommendation. Still no change and actually I gained 5lbs and cannot get it off and I eat healthy. I am taking Bioidential Estrodial and Protesterone cream which helps with the menopause symptoms.  At night I used to take, 2 magnesium Glycinate tabelets and 2 Melatonin with 100 SR Progesterone tablet.  My holistic Dr. suggested that I also, supplement with Celtic gray sea salt.  So I found on the internet that if you put 1 teaspoon in warm water it will put you to sleep.  I highly recommend this it as it has worked brilliantly for me.  I have recently even quit the SR 100 of Progesterone at night and just take the Magnesium, Melatonin and warm water with Celtic sea salt.  I am sleeping through the night and usually don't even have to get up to go to the bathroom as the sea salt helps with this too!  Miracle!  Now if I can only solve the hair loss problem.     

I have left a message for my Endo. to see if i can take the Sea Kelp as I am not sure with not having a Thyroid.  Please would love to hear from you and if you have stopped your hairloss as I think it is just the worst! 

• Posted

Hi Highlands!  

I stumbled onto your discussion concerning your hairloss, low white blood count

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.