Severe headache for a week, what should I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello guys, I am new here and I desperately search for an answer for my sudden headaches. I just turned 20 years old and I am a girl and an active student in University. My headaches started last Wednesday. I went to a soccer match and it was a very big match. It was loud and crowdy. The only thing I remember that was annoying was the sun which was shinning straight in my eyes. After the match, I got a bad headache and I thought it might be due to the sun and loud noises. I went to bed earlier. In the morning, my headache was still present. Why do I worry so much about a headache? I am a person who really rarely has headaches. I only get them during period (it is a regular period, no chances of being pregnant since I am a virgin) or when I cry. I did a big mistake and I went on google and I noticed the illness called meningitis. Which scared the living creeps out of me so on Friday, I decided to go to the doctor. My pain was mostly localized on my forehead, under my eyes and the sides of nose. And the right side on the back of my head hurt me as if someone had hit me. She told me if I had meningitis, I wouldn't be able to touch my chest with my chin and my neck would be extremely painful and stiff. And I did not have that. My temperature was 36.7°C (98.6°F) and we checked my blood pressure twice. It was 110/72 and 100/70. My heartbeats per minute were 70. She knocked under my eyes and forehead and it did hurt so she gave me antibiotics Hiconcil 500 mg and Ibuprofen Belupo 400 mg. She said I have a sinus headache. The soon I started taking them, it was better. But yesterday, the moment I slept less and the weather was gloomier, I got a headache again. I browsed through google so much I am convinced I have a brain bleed, tumor or mengingitis. sad I am not familiar with headaches. I have a checkup today and currently no headache but I am slightly nauseous. I have been eating well. Here are also some informations that maybe could help:

- My dad had a hypothalamus tumor years ago. He is tumor free for years now but he suffers from acromegaly due to the hormone problems.

- Headaches are common in my house. My little sister, dad and mum have them often. I don't.

- I breathe through my mouth. My left sinus is completely clogged for 15 years meaning no air comes on or out if I blow or inhale.

- I have problems with pollen and allergies.

- My school is pretty stressfull but currently I am on a week break.

- I have anxietyattacks whenever I feel bad (diagnosed emetophobia - fear of vomiting).

- I sleep by an opened window whenever it is above 5°C outside since we have dry air.

- My head is propped up by three pillows cause otherwise I have trouble breathing through my mouth.

- I usually sleep maximum 6 hours a day and I take a nap in the afternoon. I usually go to bed at 1-2 AM, on school days at midnight.

- I am not a fan of a dark so I sleep by turned on which automatically turns off after 120 minutes.

- I am NOT irritated by loud noise or light.

I hope they will be a help. I am desperate. I have a lot of problems with health and I don't really want to add a neurologist to the list. sad But I am so scared I might end up dying or getting a damage from a untreated headache. I want to be convinced it is nothing but I am terrified at the same time. Any of your advices will help.

Thank you so much, xoxo

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maxim,

First of all try to calm down, I know thats tough, but by getting worked up about your headache, WILL make it worse.  You cant tell from reading things on google if you have a serious medical condition or not. It has to be diagnosed properly with tests and examinations.  Its unlikely that you have a bleed as you would have other signs and symptoms too.  I cannot tell you exactly what you have due to the fact I am not a dr.  So, what to do?  You said you have another checkup today and they can do basic tests to see if you have anything serious going on.  My bet is that its due to the stress and if I can offer a bit of advice, dont leave it so late to go to bed and try to get a bit more sleep, I know from the research I have done about my headaches is that you need nearly 8 hours and going to bed earlier and waking earlier is better for you.

If the headaches continue, then I would insist on an MRI scan and to be refered to a Neurologist, I know you dont want to but they can offer more advice and do more tests to find out the cause of the headaches.

You can take stronger painkillers that are available over the counter.  Solpadiene Max contains the strongest amount of codiene without presecription and you can get products that caontain Dihydrocodiene, ask the pharmacist about these.

If the headaches are migraines, then the dr can give you Sumatriptan to abort the pain very quickly and he can give you a preventative, something like Verapamil or Pregabalin or both, other meds include Nortriptylene.

Maxim, I hope this helps, but above all try to chill out a bit, and you can always come on here and tell us your worries.

Good luck and best wishes.

Take care and keep us updated

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I had a checkup at the doctor back then and I got another round of antibiotics so in total, 32 pills. It is much better now. I guess it was a really bad sinus infection after all. But I still get headaches when I am not well rested, or when I cry and on period. Should I still ask for a CT or MRI scan?
    • Posted

Hi Maxim.

Well it does sounds like it was a sinus infection, so you cna remove meningitis off your worry list.  If your headaches persist then I would insist on an MRI, this will totally rule out any worries you may have and will put your mind at rest.

I am interested do you do a lot of sports? Hope you dont mind me asking, only i am athletic too and I frequently get what is known as cluster headache, which is very painful over one eye.  I am being treated for this under a neurologist, so its not actually a worry for me.  I was just curious in your case thats all.

I hope you continue to get better Maxim, but do keep in touch I always listen and reply to give you any info or support I can give you.

Take care and best wishes, always here for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.