Severe health anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

had headaches for about 4 weeks.  Been to see GP twice and she says it's not serious.  She has booked me an MRI for reassurance. My concern because of my issues do they take my health problems seriously or say it's just anxiety.  Also had my eyes checked and paid extra for a camera to see the back of the eye

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Ha. I feel the same way about my gp. At least yours booked an mri!! I also had my eye checked because i have so many eye floaters now and paid extra for the back of eye picture
    • Posted

Some do the extra check free but mine doesn't.  I don't mind paying for peace of mind.  Take care
  • Posted

Ha. I feel the same way about my gp. At least yours booked an mri!! I also had my eye checked because i have so many eye floaters now and paid extra for the back of eye picture
  • Posted

Unfortunatly i fear the MRI wont reassure you at all.  No amount of tests will reassure those of use with health anxiety, its just the nature of it.  We must trust doctors, otherwise there is little point in seeing them when we really need to.  The only thing to help with health anxiety is to deal with the root cause of the anxiety - therapy can help, really therapy is the only way to find out why the health issues are obsessive.  Reassurance from tests will last a few minutes, then we move on to something else. its not the doctors fault, they know there is no issue - we dont believe them and so it goes on.  Deal with the anxiety in whatever way is best for you, the health anxiety is a symptom of that, not a cause of it
    • Posted

Me too,the times when its been less was when my anxiety is more controlled, that's defo the key for me
    • Posted

there are other types of therapy, i dont use CBT either, i dont find it very useful. A therapist will help you decide the best type of therapy. be sure to tell them if you dont think its working for you
    • Posted

I think mine feelings are so strong I would struggle with any therapist.  I so want to be rid of this
    • Posted

therapists are used to dealing with all kinds of issues and guarenteed they will have dealt with worse issues than you can imagine, they dont judge you on your issues, they are there to help.  you have to want to be there though, therapy wont work if you dont want to be a part of it
    • Posted

I just struggle with therapy.  I seem to have spent so much money and got nowhere.  I am not blaming the therapist its me who is the problem
    • Posted

This is  nto a criticism but if your a mental health nurse I can imagine you are probably a tough customer to help in the sense you understand the principals. I guess its like someone telling how to program and build a database or to fix a windows computer. I know the steps that I expect them to go thru, so become alot less interested ( intrested the wrong word but I can think what I mean ).  I may have it wrong with yourself I dont know.

Whilst in this forum there are common ways to get thru these with Love, Support , undertstanding of challenges, empathy and people who dont judge, there are seperate stories of how people get into the state and timescales and trigger that relieve and stop these challenges. In essence a counsellor role is not to disimilar to this they listen and guide you.

• Posted

The best one was a counsellor through work but you only get a few sessions.  The rest I have done privately.  My CBT cost me £80 per hour.  There are no perks working for the nhs, apart from job satisfaction
    • Posted

Oh I know thier is now perks in the NHS, they be pressuring you using occupational health i guess
  • Posted

Mary you know your body and symptoms best so dont let anyone make you feel that they are of no concern. They concern you and you know they aren't right and thats enough for you . Your GP should respect that and treat you with some dignity.

When i moved from area to where I am now II adopted this attitude as the previous GP didnt give a dman. So I just muddled on dealing with all the aches and pains and anxiety, to then find I ignored some serious pain that end up being a kidney infection and spesis and I was in real trouble and was admit to hospital.

My gp ( current ) asked why I ignored it and I explained the treatment I had been given and she totally understood, and was told  never to chance anything again with my compex health history. i can gladly say my GP and I  have  mutual respect, and we dicuss why she want to prescribe and i outline any concerns openly

• Posted

The first doctor was fine and although she said there were no concerns she would give me an MRI anyway for peace of mind.  The second one just looked at me with contempt.  The problem is it is difficult to see my own doctor because she is so popular.  The ones that always have vacancies are the ones on one wants to see
    • Posted

So sorry to her that you are getting a level of care thats consistent. With all the positive advertise about supporting Mental health you would have thought the GP's would be better on board
    • Posted

I am a mental health nurse and I know I would get treated better if I was abusing drugs
    • Posted

I have a friend and a family member who are Mental Health nurse/ward managers dealing with the inpatient level. It must be harder for you as you understand more whats going on with this challenges

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.