Severe health anxiety especially cancer !!

Posted , 5 users are following.

So my brother had cancer when he was 12. I was 14 and that was the worst panic of my life.. when I started to become afraid of dying. He is fine now and a PA wink so he gets many phone calls from me. I am now 28 and have 2 little boys. I want to be happy for them and play with them but I'm constantly searching for lumps and bumps and making my husband and family (hate) me or so that's how I feel. I am afraid to sleep at night as my husband works 3rd shift. I cry all the time I panic and then start to Google with is really bad by the way. I have health anxiety bad and this is the only place I could find to post that I know wouldn't judge me. As women I think that health anxiety comes after having kids because it never had this before I had my first son. I am on wellbutrin which unjust started and I have sinus infection which doesn't help. I bring myself to feel a moment of relief and feel like I can breath and then I find another lump or bump and then feel like puking.( like now I just felt a little lump on my right breast bone) even tho I have no idea what I'm feeling for. I don't know when this will end. I go to church and have people pray for me and I pray to God every day to take this anxiety from me.. I'm Hoping these meds kick in soon bc I can't be like this amymore. I also work at a hospital and surprisingly I'm fine there. Buy lately I have not been able to concentrate, I just want this gone. I have tried not to Google but it's hard. Typing this helps a little .. thank you for reading my long sob story.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It is totally normal to get paranoid about something like this after Someone in your family gets sick. I think

Many people have that "that wouldn't happen to me" thought in their head, until it happens to someone they know. Especially after we have kids. I was never scared of health problems until I had my kids and now I'm scared about everything. I think the best people to talk to about this are the people that go trough it also. Like us on this forum. It puts my

Mind to ease for sure. And also your brother! He has been through some people's biggest fears and he may be a good person to talk to about it. He will understand and not be annoyed by u. I'm sure that he still gets fears that it could happen again too! You Guys would be able to relate!

• Posted

Totally agree with other reply. Your getting checked regularly. Great but with anxiety of any kind this still won't put your mind at rest. Googling , not good , will meme you worse . By all means keep checking yourself but instead of convincing yourself the worst talk to somebody here. Always here. Talking saved me as I thought I was going mad and so called normal people wold find me strange. People here have all types of these anxieties etc. Your not alone. Docs and councillors can help to a degree but until you've felt this horrid turmoil then you really can understand. ??

• Posted

I am 100% a health anxiety freak!! Fear of any type of maligancy..tumor, etc ! I have TMJ issues, and clinch at night, and am tense all day which I think makes me lightheaded (well I hope thats the reason) Anyways ....brain tumors scare me, rare tumors scare me, and doctors misdiagnosising scares me. I have no health insurance.....Im constantly thinking my visions changed so it could be a tumors, I have seasonal allergies too, but now I feel tingling in my face (cheek areas) Ive conviced its cause of a tumor pressing on something!! I havent googled in 4 weeks! And that helps. Anytime I see a lady with a buzz cut ir short curly hair I think she had cancer, and I think What would I do if I did, how would I tell my children, would my husband treat me differently, etc....CONSTANT thoughts.....Is it a premontion or just the fear of cancer getting the best of me. I started taking 50mg of zoloft 4 weeks ago and I feel a slight relieflike I can dismiss some thoughts but they are always there!!! I pray for all of us who struggle daily. I too have children and my very slight anxiety started at age 20, but after baby #3 @ 31 years old I have had 22 months of pure anxiety!!!
    • Posted

Your not alone. I have anxiety, but your health anxiety sounds hell. My friend is terrible . If she has a pain in leg it has to be a blood clot. Head , it's a tumour etc. She also thinks everything means she is going to die . Just wanted to reply to say your not alone . Keep writing on here ,I'm sure more similar people will help. I know we never believe doctors but I'm sure you need more opinions from them . You deserve a better life than this( we all do)??

• Posted

Yes stay away from Google. You could Google that you stubbed your toe and no doubt it will lead it to cancer some how.

I am freaking out about cancer right now as well. I have health anxiety that was under control for many years till a few months ago I found a lump on my rib.. My health anxiety came back with a vengeance... You aren't alone... (((hugs)))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.