Severe Health Anxiety over 1 enlarged Lymph Node.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, this is my first post, was just looking to get some info as I’m struggling at the moment.

Some background information about me, 28 year old male, good health (I assume) doesn’t smoke or drink, eats good and works out. When I was 20 I had a mole removed which turned out to be melanoma, which was a shock at that age, however it was strange as my surgeon said the reason my results took so long to get back (6-8 weeks) was they could not 100% put say it was melanoma, he said if 10 doctors looked at it, 5 would say yes, 5 would say no, but the best option is to treat it as if it was. So I had a wider excision and sentinel lymph node biopsy, both came back clear and I proceeded to have 5 years of check ups. Before this I was never aware of lymph nodes , etc, so during that time I would fiddle and feel around for anything in my body because I was paranoid, of course I found this bump in my neck that I’ve never felt, consistently played with it, Googled it, convinced myself it was cancer, let my mind just take control and didn’t mention it for a good few months just because I was scared. Eventually I did and the doctor said let’s just remove it , so we took it out and I got a letter saying it was just a reactive node, nothing to worry about. Finish my 5 years of checks, brilliant, no health anxiety, feeling good.

Fast forward a few months ago, started to convince myself I was having a heart attack / stroke symptoms as I was falling asleep, was a shock to me. Obviously googled things again, heart problems, mini strokes, I convinced myself I had these problems. Went to my docs, checked me over, said I was too young and I was suffering with anxiety/panic attacks, eventually it just went away. 

Now a few weeks ago, as there was nothing wrong with me, I went for a feel around, right groin, the inguinal node? Felt slightly swollen, oh what’s that? Oh no sad so Dr Google comes to my rescue again, lymphoma, or a cancer that has spread. For 8 days I did nothing but google, touch, rub this node around 200 times a day, some days it was soft and small, others felt a bit bigger and firmer, it moves under my finger which I read was good. All this time though I’m telling myself I have terminal cancer and I’m going to die, my cancer has come back. Like I wish I couldn’t have these thoughts but they have made my life miserable the last 2 weeks, I went to the docs but had a panic attack the night before over the fear of what was going to be said. I told her everything I’ve wrote on here,  She checked my BP, temp, listened to my chest from the front and back and then felt the node. Literally 2/3 seconds and she said it felt normal?! I was like you are joking?! No she said. I couldn’t believe it, was a relief, I asked what signs they look for and she said lymph nodes can go like golf balls? Anyway that was last week, I thought great, let’s move on, but I can’t, for the last 7 days all I’ve done is prod, feel and google again and again, I know it’s not good for me, I’m making myself ill. I’ve had no other symptoms apart from a couple of days ago a bad stomach and some diarrhoea, convinced myself this was my body giving up. I’ve moidered myself that much I’ve booked another doctors appointment to feel this node again?! I was thinking what if the first doc was wrong? She only felt it when I was lieing down, it feels much softer and smaller in that position as to when I’m standing up straight it feels a bit bigger and bit firmer. I’m struggling a lot atm, like I can’t even think about the future because I think I won’t be around sad sorry for the long post

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

You really are putting a huge strain on your system. Mentally, you are in overdrive and need to slow down. Easier said than done because you have already been through so much. If financially possible you should get a private consultation for your peace of mind. Any treatment could then be carried out by nhs. You may be paranoid about cancer, most of us are, I am sure.

Mike.

• Posted

You have pretty much described word for word what my year has been like. Same age 28 aswell. Doc says everything is fine tho.
  • Posted

Hey friend, so sorry to hear of your ordeal. I sympathize with you a lot and have a bad habit of doing those same behaviors.

As someone who is in therapy for my own anxiety and have discussed it at length with many doctors, it sounds like you are experiencing much of the same and you may even have a case of PTSD from having to go through the fear and trauma of learning you possibly had melanoma at such a young age. PTSD is not limited to people who fight in wars or get shot at. it can arise after any traumatic event of high stress. Your anxiety is NOT your fault and there is no shame in your feelings. 

I would look into some counseling. our frightened brains tell us that the doctors are making mistakes, but hey, at least you have got good news to hold on to if you choose to believe it. That’s great! keep going for your regular check ups but in the meantime try to relax and get yourself some much deserved help so that way you don’t have to live with these feelings of fear and torture. Your poor body is under so much stress and really needs a break. I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that your gastrointestinal problems are from your anxiety...i can’t tell you how many times a day i go to the bathroom when my nerves are sky high and I’m an emotional wreck. You are strong and have already overcome a lot, i know you can overcome this!

here’s some tips that might help.

- i love googling things to death as well. every time i get a new symptom, it’s hard to resist diving down the rabbit hole where there is a LOT of scary stuff out there. these websites are not doctors who see you or know you. they are only listing all possible outcomes, not ANYTHING that applies to you! next time you’re upset and can’t stay off google, try inputting “(symptom) anxiety” and you will be surprised by the results and how they can be explained by the stress of your body.

- get a referral for a counselor or your GP can even begin to prescribe anxiety medication very quickly so you can get some relief. soon, your thoughts will stop spiraling and you can look at things more rationally. it’s not your fault your brain is so stressed. go and give it some TLC, just like how you take care of your body.

You will get through this!!! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.