Severe hip pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi my husband has recently been diagnosed with colitis. He is on 40mg of steroids and 3 x1000mg of falofalk granules. His colitis seems to be under control but he is still suffering from severe hip pain. This started as a small ache now it is so painful he is needing a stick to walk, this has been going on for weeks now.

He has only been taking the meds for 2 weeks but still no let up from the pain.

Anyone else have joint pain?

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I get joint pain but mainly in my fingers i hope he is ok and they can review his meds xx

• Posted

Hi.. I'm so sorry for you husband and his hip pain. I really hope it manages to ease some.  Paracetemols are something that I was told to take for pain - but he can talk to his GI as he told me there was something stronger that they can prescribe in terms of pain control but I must admit I have no idea what it is as I don't even like having to take paracetemol if I don't have to.  Before being diagnosed with colitis, I did have some 'arthritis' issues but it seemed to increase with the quick onset of colitis (from food poisoning!) (neck, hips, knees etc.)... I was referred to a Rheumotologist who gave me the 'wrong' kind of drug.. an NSAID and a strong one at that which made the colitis worse and the pains worse and he discharged me after he prescribed it (still on the waiting list as I had to be re-referred)... after a hospital stay and the 40mgs of steriods which had to be put into my blood stream after the month previously of taking them orally as my levels didn't got up as quickly as my GI wanted amongst other problems, it took about two months after that... the pains subsided.  I guess what I'm saying is that the hip pain can be linked to the colitis - i.e. joint pain... or it can be the colitis itself or both - it can feel like it's on one side or both and your husband may be able to tell the two 'types of pain' apart.  I am now on azathiroprine which has helped not only the colitis but the joint pain (2 months in on that!) but there are occasions when I get one or the other or both but it is not long lasting like it had been.  I'm still on 5mg of steriods but it brought the colitis from severe to mild albeit with some inflammation still present.  The steriods didn't work right away for me.. it took 3 months and most of it on that higher dose coupled with the azithiroprine.

I'd contact your GI's secretary for an appointment or reassurance or if you have a good IBD nurse. (Unfortunately I have a good GI - the nurse though - not so good!)

• Posted

Hi hpw68

I too have hip pain, i havent been properly diagnosed yet with colitis still 

waiting on my hospital appointment , thou my doc is treating me for this.

I was on 8 steriods per day which did stop the bleed and get things under 

control, My hip pain was same as your hubbys started of as a ache now

and again but is chronic now . My doctor has prescribed cocodomol but not making much of a differance to be honest

Hope your hubby feels better soon 

• Posted

Hi Carole

?Sorry to hear that my husbands colitis really just came from nowhere, he started having a sore neck was prescribed ibroprufen.  Then a couple of weeks later started running to the loo, i dont know how many times a day with lots of blood and then all of a sudden his hip ended up becoming painful.  Cut a very long story short we ended up going private for a colonoscopy as we were really worried, he was told he had colitis and possibly brought on by the ibroprufen.  He's currently taking 8 steroids a day and granules every morning, the colitis seems to be under control but his hip is really painful he's ended up having a stick in the morning to get moving.  First time he has been off work in 15 years.  We were hoping the steroids would help with the pain he's took cocodomol and even tramadol but nothing really shifts it.  Did the steroids help with your pain? How long were you on them?  It just seems mad that the colitis has almost gone away and he's left with this!

?Sorry for the rant I seem to be at the end of my tether with it all!

• Posted

Hi again hpw68

my problems came out of the blue also ( when i gave up smoking )

i was only on the steriods 1 course which was 10 days , no unfortunatly

the steriods didnt help the pain, the cocodomol only work part time also.

My GP sent me for an xray so just waiting for results of that, Did the consultant not say anything about the pain ? I can understand your

frustration with this , its been 8 weeks for me so far just waiting on a 

colonoscopy and hoping something gets sorted then .

ask for xray too check for arthritis because i think it can come with colitis .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.