Severe IBS, 7 Months Post Appendectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had an appendectomy in June, still was having sharp pains across lower abdominal area, uncomfortable bowel movements, nausea, etc. I had a colonoscopy, where a few polyps were removed and deemed benign. (I’m only 17, and colon cancer runs in my family.) After my colonoscopy they diagnosed me with IBS. I’m currently taking 10mg amitriptyline, and everyday it doesn’t matter what I eat. I could eat yogurt, fiber bar, a plain sandwhich, plain baked chicken, no matter what it is I ALWAYS get sick immediately after. Have unbearable pain, upset stomach, and a painful bowel movement. This is effecting my life very negatively. I’m starting to feel like keeping a job is impossible, because if I eat I’ll be in the bathroom all day no doubt. I feel hopeless anymore, any suggestions? The only thing that helps my pain is either a piping hot bath, or laying down with a heating pad directly on my skin. Most the time naproxen or ibuprofen won’t help. However I obviously won’t be able to have a heating pad or stuff like that at work. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Stop the napro and the ibuprofen. Not good for us guys. You need a pain reliever from doc. Over the counter pain relievers are bad for our systems. Don't hurt yourself with the nsaids.

• Posted

Completely feel your pain.... I had my appendix out 16 months ago and still getting pain on a daily basis. Scared to eat as it makes me really bloated, uncomfortable and I feel sick!

I've been back and forth to the doctor's who have gone round in circles with trying to decide what it is....the latest thing they've said is IBS - they have said next thing to try is amitriptyline. They said IBS can start following a period of illness and also abdominal surgery sad hope you get sorted soon!

• Posted

Try the low Fodmap diet and ask for a different painkiller and antispasmodic.  The antidepressant may also be causing side effects like  stomach pain.  If you are still experiencing this much pain on the antidepressant, it sounds like it is not working for you.  It may be worth coming off it.  

Maybe part time employment or self employment may suit you better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.