severe inner thigh muscle spasms

Posted , 108 users are following.

These severe inner thigh muscle spasms are so excruciating I can hardly stand

10 likes, 349 replies

349 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello,TL and fellow sufferers, like everyone in this chat room, desperate to find an answer. I take a daily does of Quinine which doctors don't like giving out but have not found that it's the answer. I am interested in the fact that it works to take them when an attack is on progress. Can you describe just what the packet says is in the tablets please? I would be so grateful.

• Posted

I am out of the leg cramp pills but I'm going to try to find some tomorrow & I will get back to you & tell you what the bottle says.sorry it took me so long to answer

• Posted

This is for everybody that's interested,I just came back from the store where I've always bought the leg cramp pills with quinine & the exact brand was now in a box but did not say with quinine.I ask at the pharmacy & they said the only thing that quinine is used for now is to treat Malaria.(Whatever!)It had been months since I bought my last bottle so I guess I won't be getting any more relief from that.One of those bottles probably lasted me over a year give or take.Hopefully I won't get the spasms any more often than I was , but once is too much!

• Posted

I'm going to a Physical Therapist now and he is stretching my muscles while he working on my left leg. He can feel when the spasm happens and he stated that the nerves in my back are affecting this(this is what neurologist stated also.

I am going to PT three times a week and doing exercise( mostly specific stretch exercises).

I take ropenierole in the evening and it helps.. But it knocks me out also.

• Posted

Update:

My doctor ordered Physical therapy & he is doing the exact things you speak of. Yes, the stretching and decompression with some hands on tracfion helps. Exercises at home each day also that are totally stretching that muscle that knots up when not worked on (which causes those horrid spasms. He even rolls a wooden roller on this area to a point I have to close my eyes because it is somewhat painful. He can feel the tightness of the quad muscles(I can also), the spasms, and then the release of those muscles. Indeed this is caused from the nerve that feeds the muscle... And of course that nerve is being punched in the back.

Glad they understand what is happening although the pain still is unbearable.

• Edited

Take a deep breath till your full and release through the mouth. Do this a couple of times. This helps to release cramps and anxiety. It worked for me. Hope it helps you too.
    • Posted

Thank You,I'll definitely try that.

• Edited

if only it was so easy...in my case I get it in both thighs and it throws me around the room while I am trying to stand up and while I am screaming with agony. No chance of deep breathing with cramps in your thighs, the muscles are too big and too tight to care about relaxation techniques!

• Posted

Hello, pleased to say, although nervously, that I have not had an attack in weeks. Leg stretches before bed and more recently, Crampex tablets taken daily.  i do,still get bad calf cramps and sometimes in my feet btut  of course this is nothing like the awful inner thigh ones. 

I was wondering about e nerves in the back comment and wondered if we can do anything to help prevent what may be the root cause. 

Hope my run of good luck lasts and that you gain relief too. 

• Posted

Really!! On what and for what? What did they say is your diagnosis?
    • Posted

mine IS caused by stenosis...a narrowing of the hole in my spine at T4/5 where a nerve comes out. That nerve gets irritated and fires off at night causing the inner thigh muscle to cramp. All shown on MRI scan.A steroid injection into both sides of the spine at that point calms everything down for a while, but I havent been able to get an appointment for 18 months due to NHS cutbacks, so I see a Cranial Osteopath who gently helps support the nerve and remove the extra swelling that causes the cramp

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.