severe inner thigh muscle spasms

Posted , 108 users are following.

These severe inner thigh muscle spasms are so excruciating I can hardly stand

10 likes, 349 replies

349 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Are you an athlete? I am and feels like was now a high level Marathon runner. But I recently took a break and suddenly after 3 days I developed the most severe acute muscle pains in both upper legs. Lasts 10-15 minutes and brings me out in sweat and or tears. Eventually they pass. Triggered by even slight movements on occasions. Been searching online for explanation and this is the closest I have come to people with similar experience. Would baclofen work? Quinine always successful? Help!
    • Posted

Yes, quinine always worked for me but I can't get it anymore.No I'm not an athlete.Mine usually happen when I have overdone it that day. (I'm extremely out of shape) Now that I can't get the Leg Cramps with quinine pills I'm starting to think they would have passed anyway.I guess we'll find out if or when I have another one.It's definitely a mystery what causes them or why they occur.It's definitely an excruciating experience, it would be a blessing to pass out from the pain.

• Posted

Baclofen works as a muscle relaxant and yes it works....but in my case it gave me severe depression in just 7 days. The Specailist gave me the usual steroid injections into my spine but did them a different way and I got terrible side effects...daytime tremors in my leg, cramps everywhere,feet, ankles, shins,calf, AND thigh cramps EVERY night for 6 weeks and I ended up on diazepam which is addictive so they then put me on Baclofen which turned me into a major depressive in a week. Happy to say the effects of the injection are now wearing off,,,and I need to go back to haveit done the old way if they will allow it

• Posted

I work out 3x per week. I am 62 year old American male. When I over exert I get horrible, horrible inner thigh spasms, not like cramps. feels like muscles are being torn apart while on fire! Sore for days after an episode. It's two years dealing with this and now i find myself thinking about this every single day trying to find a solution or regimen that works so i can continue working out.

So I am using Natural Calm powder and cream. putting on cream before I work out. Making sure I am very well hydrated while working out with water and P2Life nutritional powder with a dash of pink salt for mineral input. Also added CBD cream for post workout immediately. And just realized that i should be drinking a Gatorade type drink to replace electrolytes so started that yesterday. Also daily take Cramp Defense pills that are definitely helping. Also icing my inner thighs after working out and no more hot baths with epsom salts on days i work out as they actually trigger spasms! Stretching also helps but it scares me to do anything directly to the area so I am not diligent about it. And I have some muscle relaxant pills from an emergency trip to doctor after a terrible episode. I take those when I know I'm likely to have a bad day. sigh.

Really glad to have come across you guys. Going to try the tens unit and Theraworx asap.

• Posted

I have been told that it is due to muscle weakness or lack of muscle use related to that entire area. I believe it as I sit for a living. The entire pelvic, lower back, glute area is weak so it takes little to over exert which causes spasms. Of course lower back issues feed the problem.

• Posted

I have found some tonic water with quinine in it and drinking some of that before bed seems to help.  Also magnesium is worth a try; it's a muscle relaxer so hopefully, it would help with the spasm.  I very rarely get them during the day but always in the early morning while sleeping.  It's comforting to know other people get them also.....

• Posted

How are you sleeping when you got the spasms?  I find that I am in the fetal position and start to roll over.  I now make an effort to straighten out my legs and push my feet outwards before I try to move.  Does your start with a 'twinge'?  When I get that twinge, I know I'm in trouble.  But if I can straighten my legs out quick enough I am able to stop the spasm...most of the time.

• Posted

Lucky you as I have never in 14 years been able,to,stop it. Had it today getting out of bed. Not able to sleep in fetal,position but may be it was the unusual level,of Excercise the day befoer. So horrible. 
    • Posted

My thigh spasms started in 1991, and since then I've had many, many spasms.  It has taken me that long to try and figure out what is causing them and how to prevent them.  First I would just suffer and pray for it to end.  My physical therapist called it active insufficiency, or muscle contracting while over-shortened.  To me, this makes sense because they always happen after I've been sleeping in the fetal position, which would cause the muscles in my legs to become over-shortened.  That is why I stretch my legs out before I roll over or try to get up out of bed or off the couch.  I've talked to several physical therapists before I found one who said he knew exactly what was happening.  

• Posted

I've tried tonic water seem to help but not sure because it's not  to often but I don't know when to expect it to hot but it catch me at nite when I'm getting up to potty.  I notice when I'm getting up every hour to go potty after about the fifth time it's coming. I don't think  because I dink alot because I tried not to drink after 8pm. This is just crazy don't have no answer but a hot shower do me good it will last about 10 mins.but it help my to stretch to stand up straight

• Posted

Thanks to everyone who commented on this horrible problem that we have in common.Actually the last horrible spasm I had was a week or so ago & for the first time it was in the very front of my leg thigh high.It was the same excruciating pain as the inner thigh spasms. I'm not sure about this time but I do know some of the times I had these horrible spasms was when our doggy was laying down by my feet & I couldn't sretch out quite as much as I would like but I know this was not always the case.I've tried the drinking more water among other things & can't seem to find any one thing that causes the spasms or helps them.I do know it is such an excruciating pain that unconsciousness would be a blessing at that moment.

• Posted

I know sometimes but not always,I tend to get them more after I've overdone it way more than my usual activities.

• Posted

What helps me is a good tablespoon of yellow mustard swallowed down when I experience the muscle beginning to cramp   Relief in minutes for me. 
    • Posted

maybe seriously consider a balm or oil every night before sleeping. since it is a muscle issue a balm goes right into the muscle quickly to soothe it. also CBD balm or oil products may be newest solution. I have tried it recently and am cautiously optimistic that it calms the muscles.

• Posted

I too have been trying this [mustard]. Thanksgiving day I got a bad cramp and I had to jump up and I went straight for the mustard; I pushed a group of people out of the way to get to the mustard &it actually helped [that time].

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.