Severe insomnia

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi im a female aged 49 years old and have suffered from severe insomnia for the last 2 years. ive been to my doctors who perscribed antripliyne tablets which initially worked for me. on and off the last 2 yrs i can still go days without any sleep are on,y a couple of hrs a nite. recently i noticed my insomnia has being getting worsed i went to docs again who perscribed zolpytine tablets on,y for a short period which did help me but since i stop using these tablets and still using antripliyne my insomnia has been horrific. i get so worked up every nite having panic attacks. i have been been accepted on a sleep course next week for three sessions. i would like help and advice from people going similar problems. thank you in advance.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

The have run some tests to discard any organic cause? Like hormones, thyroid or other causes? Or is more psychological? If its psychological your insomnia should start earlier not at 49 or you had any recent traumatic experience?

• Posted

Hello There,

I am in the similar problem , I am also 49 and have been chronic insomniac for the last 4 years, I had acupuncture, hypnotised, scents, massage, sleeping pills for a couple of weeks but stopped due to side effect I had in the morning also they can be very addictive so stopped, same with anti-depressant , I tried for 6 months they helped me at the beginning but started to have other side effect eg I put a lots of weight on so stopped , when I stopped my insomiac got worse for a few weeks then went back to before I took the anti-depressant, I am not against anti-depressant but worried about side effect in the long run.

I spend the night in a sleeping clinic they measured everything like your heart, to your movement ect.. the resut was that physically everything was fine , but my insomniac was mentally , they also prescribed me more anti-depressant which I dont want to take them , but they also told me that CBT for insomniac could really help , I am now on a waiting list to have 6 sessions of CBT. I sleep between 2 to 4 hours a night and sometime I am awake all night , it is very frustrating as I am now starting to lose my memory . I also had panick attack in the past. I am looking forward to do CBT as they are saying this really help , have youheard of it ?

• Posted

hello sorry to hear u r i n a similiar position yes have heard of the therapy you mentioned. im going for similiar therapy next week but have also been fecommended for 1 to 1 anxiety therapy but waiting list. i know lack of sleep can affect every body of your life. i was wondering if the insomnia could be effect with the menopause . good luck

• Posted

Good luck with the therapy , i cant wait for mine. They do say some people do suffer from sleep deprive when they are reaching the menopause , but for me it has been 4 + years . so i kind of think it might not , not sure . But try the therapy , it might really help 😃 good luck .

• Posted

I have had severe insomnia since 1999, also panic attacks. when I feel the attacks are coming on, I do deep breathing 5 times , it disappears immediately for me. With insomnia, I go for 3 days and nights, crying ,as I can not sleep in the daytime either. I take 1/2 a trazadone once in a while but I do not like to take sleeping pills.......they seem to affect my memory and eyes.......may I ask what does CBT mean?....thank you ahead of time !

• Posted

Hello Vivian, I am sorry to hear you too have sever insomnia too, I do sympathise it is not fun and hard for other who don’t suffer to understand .

It scare me as I do see a difference in my health also like I mentioned I start to forget which worries me a lot.

CBT is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy ,, this apparently has helped 1000’s of people with their insomnia , I guess you get retrained on how to sleep again with different routine

It is not easy and you have to work on it but it supposed to help . Google it, there is a lot about it , maybe speak to your doctor .

I am still waiting for my sessions and can’t wait . Once I start I might post the advice I was giving and my progress on line it help someone else . Good luck

• Posted

Hi Gillian I can totally relate. I've been dealing with insomnia for over a year. Starting out of the blue one night taking a few hours to fall asleep then next night I started to worry about how fast I would fall asleep but I got no sleep at all that night, and I started to sweat and get extremely agitated. After that awful night I dreaded going to bed in the following nights and the sweats and agitation continued. It just ballooned into a severe sleep disorder. So I began taking over the counter sleep aids like promethazine which were only effective if I was very calm. Most of the time they didn't work as the anxiety would override it. Also when I finally did get some sleep I would dream a lot, waking up because of them, they weren't usually nightmares but just very vivid like people, places etc. I rarely remembered my dreams before my insomnia began. I would sleep straight through without any vivid dreams.

Long story short I soon began "self medicating" with alcohol to sleep. Sad thing is I rarely drank before my insomnia. Usually a full bottle of wine or 3 bottles of strong beer a night would be enough to knock me out. I basically became an alcoholic because of my terrible sleep.

I've come to the conclusion my problem is not relaxing enough and having a very overactive mind because alcohol (and sleeping pills) increase something called GABA in the brain causing relaxation so when this increased you drop off easily to sleep, this is a reason people with insomnia can easily get hooked on them as that magical feeling of falling asleep doesn't want to get taken away. I've always been an anxious person and I think this finally began to affect my sleep. In the past I would have panic attacks and not be able to eat, but at night I could still sleep fine. So I'm just wondering if chronic stress and anxiety has lowered my natural GABA levels.

Anyway good luck I know how not sleeping cause you to feel awful mentally and physically. You don't realise just how much until you start to lack it! And I find some people are unsympathetic because they haven't experienced it for prolonged times.

• Posted

hi thank u for replying i know people who r not going thru insomnia are not sympathetic . i hope your insomnia improves over time

• Posted

I hope your insomnia improves too and you get good rest. Like I say I totally relate and your not alone, hope that makes you feel better. Insomnia seems to affect everything I do and to be honest I'm not the same person anymore since it started. It really i

• Posted

can i know your ages gareth and gilian? at times insomnia starts at a particular age.

• Posted

hi im 49 now but my insomnia started when i was 47 thks

• Posted

hi gareth check your message inbox, i have sent you a private message in that. please do reply.

• Posted

hey gareth, did you read your message inbox? how are you feeling now, plz do update 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.