Severe insomnia and under eye bags/wrinkling

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had severe insomnia for over a year and a half. And in that time I have developed worsening under eye bags and wrinkling which I never had before. I have tried several treatments and nothing seems to work. Sleep issue still have not been completely resolved through any interventions. Has anyone else who’s had insomnia or sleep deprivation for some time  experienced these deep under eye bags and wrinkling? 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry didn't mean to love that...I'm same slowly recovering from worse bout of insomnia ever...my bags are awful.sleeping ilon stomach doesn't help either as you retain fluid...I have a simple roller ball cream that I leave in fridge so when I roll under eyes it's lovely and cold

• Posted

Yes - I suffered varying degrees of insomnia for 40 years and I have very severe eyebags and wrinkling. Not sure if this is a result of the insomnia in my case or just due to thin, "saggy" skin, which I seem to have inherited from my mother. I had puffy eyes even as a child so that may have had something to do with it too. It's probably a mixture of all three.

I don't think there is anything to be done about it. I tried various creams, masks etc. when I was young and still vain, but they were all a waste of money. Cosmetic surgery is always a possibility of course, but I know surgery on the lower lids can go horribly wrong - leaving you unable to close your eyes for instance. If you do opt for surgery, it's not a good idea to get it done too early in life either, as everything will continue going south anyway. If that's what you really want, better to wait till you're around 60.

Personally I'd rather live with the bags and wrinkles rather than face the risks and expense of cosmetic surgery. I use a good quality under-eye cream twice a day as part of my basic skin care, but I suspect that's the triumph of hope over experience. The way I see it, I am who I am and my eyebags are part of me. 

• Posted

Hear hear Lilly...I say that to..I am who I am..PTSD child bereavement insomnia and all...I have a lot of empathy seems you do to...best trait you can ever have .is to be able to understand some one else x
    • Posted

So sorry to hear about your difficult life, Christine. Sounds like you have a lot more important things to be concerned about than eyebags.

I'm convinced never having been good-looking in the first place has made ageing a whole lot easier for me. Life as an ugly girl in the 60s and 70s was very hard, with young men feeling it was quite acceptable to come up to me in the street and insult me because of my looks. Now I'm in my 70s, I find no one gives a toss about what I look like! And neither do I, as long as I'm clean and reasonably well presented.

As part of my voluntary job in a mental health centre, I quite often find myself listening to the woes of once-beautiful women who are near-suicidal about getting old and losing their looks. Much as I feel sorry for them, I can't help sending up a little prayer of thanks sometimes that that's one problem I'll never have!lol

• Posted

I’m just deteriorating so much mentally, physically, and looking so aged I’m in despair. No answers for 1 1/2 years of severely fragmented sleep and spouse could care less. 

Just so broken by it all

• Posted

Clay. I know what you are going through - I've had chronic insomnia for a year now. Weird dreams and then waking up straight after them which happens a few times a night. Daytime fatigue, dark rings under my eyes. I look haunted, hair quickly going grey. I'm not the same person I used to be and I've lost friends and my job because of it.

Doctors don't care, they cannot figure out why I cannot sleep properly they just say I won't die but chronic severe insomnia gives me depression. Doctors think I was depressed and that's what caused the insomnia but I wasn't. Suddenly one night I stopped sleeping and it went from there, that was when I became depressed. The whole thing grinds you down both physically and mentally. I've not had a full night's sleep since February.

• Posted

Arr bless ya..had severe chronic insomnia myself developed from anxiety not depression...sleeping alternate nights ..awake 36 hrs sleeping 12 then sleeping 8 hrs the next night..then asleep at 9 last nite awake at 1am and didn't go back to sleep..it's been all over the place since February and was at its worse in June...then slept every night for 3 weeks only for sleep patterns to change again...it's awful...

• Posted

Hey Clay, really sorry to hear about your sleep issues, I have had insomnia for 20 years and am going through a horrible stretch myself right now.  Take a cocktail of meds and even that has stopped working, makes it really hard to function.  I've had issues with not so much wrinkles but dark circles since I was young, they get worse with insomnia, very tough to treat.  I purchased a product called SkinMedica TNS Eye Repair about 3 months ago, very expensive but I can see a 30 to 40 percent improvement, my circles have gotten better and my skin stays moist under my eyes.  Like I said, very pricey but I use is sparingly, twice a day and I still haven't used half of it.  This jar will probably last a year.

It's really a process of trial and error, what works for one person may not work for another, it gets the best reviews I've seen though.  I also do all the sleep hygiene stuff, eye mask, white noise, avoiding caffeine and exercise.  Nothing seems to help anymore but at least that cream makes me look a little more human. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.