Severe insomnia. Please tell your experience. Does it ever end?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Ladies,   I have started a period of severe insomnia. No sleep at night at all or 2 hours. Extreme depression and burning  obsessive anxiety the next day. Day after day. I can't take sleeping pills.  Plese give me hope. Is this going to end or ease some day. I am at wits end.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

There is also something happening with my head, severe dizziness or vertigo-almost seizure like feeling. 
    • Posted

The dizzyness is due to hormone changes, I get it, its gross, make sure its not inner ear infection etc though...I am 53 and recently started to not be able to go off to sleep, I have no answer, just to say u not alone.
    • Posted

Hi Karen..i also have the dizziness and lightheadness throughout the day. Even if I just turn my head or any type of movement. I went to the doctor last week about it and she was so very rude. She did not even bother to look inside for any type of infection instead pestering me about taking my meds for my stomach. Then she adds that she thinks it's only from not eating..mind you I never told her I wasn't eating but I told her I was get naseau in the morning which takes my appetite. Sorry to vent..but doctors can be a nusiance sometimes.

My question is can you tell if an inner ear infection by looking inside? Because the sympton with the ear felt like my ear was clogged then the dizziness and lightheadness occurred afterward. I did go to ER a few weeks ago and doc said that looked like some allergy going on and diagnoise me with vertigo. It's been 6 weeks of this dizziness and lightheadness.

• Posted

It is not ear infection. It is congestion because of newly aquired allergies. The allergies showed up with perimeno. They might be related. Also I decided that the head heaviness was due to high blood pressure and the congestion. I have it almost everyday now, but when I am tired it just feels 10 times worse.

• Posted

Hi Annetta

Have you ever tried a Magnesium Citrate supplement? My partner (currently in hideous peri) started this and slept almost immediately through the night. I've started it too (due to passive insomnia) and if anything, it makes me TOO sleepy!

• Posted

HELLO ANETTA, I WANT TO TELL YOU, YES, THIS ALL SHALL PASS. I STARTED THIS ROLLER COASTER RIDE A YEAR AND A HALF AGO. I HAD JUST TURNED 45 WHEN ALL THE SYMPTOMS YOU MENTION STARTED AND THEN SOME. I CAN HONESTLY SAY AS EACH DAY AND TIME PASSES I AM FEELING MUCH MUCH BETTER. I SUFFERED MORE FROM ANXIETY, DEPRESSION AND AN AWFUL, HORRIBLE DOOM AND GLOOM FEELING WHICH NEVER IN MY LIFE DID I EXPERIENCE THIS FEELING AND HOPELESSNESS!! I COULD NOT SLEEP WHEN I DID IT WAS ONLY 2 HOURS AND WOULD JOLT WIDE AWAKE WITH MY HEART POUNDING AND THE GOD AWFUL FEELING OF DOOM AND GLOOM COMING OVER ME. I WOULD WANT TO RUN LIKE A MAD WOMAN NOT KNOWING WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO ME, THINKING I WAS GOING CRAZY!!! DR"s COULD NOT UNDERSTAND ME AND JUST PRESCRIBED ME ANTI-DEPPRESANTS TO SHUT ME UP! I TOLD THEM I AM NOT DEPRESSED NEVER HAVE BEEN IN MY LIFE! I AM 46 NOW AND I HAVE RELIED ON PRAYER BCUZ MY LORD JESUS CHRIST IS MY FOUNDATION AND STRENGTH!!! AMEN!!! I FIGURED, YOU MADE WOMAN FATHER AND I KNOW YOU WILL NEVER GIVE US MORE THAN WE CAN HANDLE. I DONT TAKE HORMONES SNYTHETHIC OR BIO. I THANK GOD FOR MY DAUGHTERS WHO ARE WITNESSING THE CHANGE IM GOING THRU AND I TALK TO THEM ABOUT PERI AND MENOPAUSE SO THAT WHEN IT COMES TIME FOR THEM THEY WILL KNOW THIS IS A NORMAL PROCESS FOR ALL WOMEN TO GO THRU AND THAT WE ARE NOT LOOSING OUR MINDS OR GOING INSANE. THEY LISTEN TO ME RAMBLE ON AND WATCH ME CRY FOR ANYTHING AND NOTHING BUT THEY ARE ALWAYS THERE TO TRY AND COMFORT ME. IT IS IMPORTANT TO HAVE SOMEONE TO COUNT ON FOR SUPPORT AND COMFORT IF YOU DONT HAVE A PERSON LIKE THAT IN YOUR LIFE ITS OKAY TO SPEAK TO A THERAPIST. DONT LET ANYONE OR ANYTHING TELL YOU OTHERWISE WE KNOW OUR BODIES AND YES ANETTA, YOU ARE EXPERIENCING WHAT IS CALLED PERI-MENOPAUSE SYMPTOMS, DONT BE AFRAID, I KNOW ITS HARD NOT TO FEEL AFRAID WITH EVERYTHING OUR BODIES ARE FEELING AND GOING THRU BUT BE ASSURED ITS OUR HORMONES TRYING TO FIND THEMSELVES AND SETTLE DOWN FIR THE MEXT HALF OF OUR LIVES. BE STRONG EVEN WHEN YOU DONT FEEL LIKE IT, GO FOR WALKS, TALK TO SOMEONE WHO WILL UNDERSTAND, KEEP YOURSELF OCCUPIED AND IN TIME YOU WILL NOTICE SYMPTOMS STARTING TO DIMINISH LITTLE BY LITTLE. BELIEVE ME I AM STILL NOT THRU THE WOODS ONLY HALFWAY I HOPE AND I BELIEVE THERE IS A LIGHT AT THE END IF THESE WOODS AND LOOK FORWARD TO GETTING THERE SOON! LAST AND FOREMOST TALK TO GOD HE WILL LISTEN HE KNOWS WHAT YOU ARE GOING THRU AND HE IS ALWAYS THERE RIGHT BY YOUR SIDE! BELIEVE IN THIS MY FRIEND AND YOU WILL SEE AND YOU WILL BE JUST FINE. XOXO

• Posted

Olimari your post has encouraged me. Thank you! I've been going through this

since March, but the thing with my symptons is that they are daily. I've cried out to God , I pray daily, I 've even questioned him, especially if I hear other friends of mine say that they did not go through all of this. I asked him why God , why do i go through so much. But the other night as I was walking down my street, what was spoken in my inner spirit is that its not for you but for someone else. What was odd because i had gone to my chiropractor on Monday and he was giving me the sermon me that we must experience pain. Pain brigrow. I can say that is back and forth to doctors and they only want to prescribe me meds for anxiety and depression. I did decide to get on biodentical progesterone. Been on it for almost 2 weeks. I don't know if it's helping or not. I still get anxiety but not as bad.

It's amazing how your life can just change overnight, I woke up one Sunday morning with a bloated stomach on Feb 26. At the time that was my only sympton. I had no idea why I was so bloated. I had to minister in dance at church that morning .Everything I put on was too tight but I didn't let that stop me. I wore my dance clothes instead. I haven't danced since because of my symptons won't allow me to. How I miss dancing so much and teaching the kids..

The bloating was diagnoised as gastritis which I know is a result of this perimenopause. It seem every week a new sympton popped up.

I was in bed for weeks not that I wanted to but I had no energy and I was so very weak. I lost a lot of weight which has affected my self esteem. I dont want to go around people that know me. It's funny because I have a non profit organization which involves boosting young girls character and self esteem. Everything that it stand for and that I've taught is the opposite of what I'm feeling right now about my self. I haven't been involved with my organization at all since this .

At one point all my symptons just disappeared for over a month. I was back to being me until I had a flare of the gastritis which was triggered by antibiotics. Then all the other symptons followed: anxiety, dizziness and lightheadness, weakness, fatigue. Bad thoughts, burning sensation, the list goes on. But I have to say that I am better than before. Alot of women have told me that it gets better ..and I'm like yeah but when? I do see it getting better now, though I have good days and bad ones..but the good still outweigh the bad.

I told my family from now on I will say daily that I am getting better and better and stronger and stronger. I have to remind myself that all the ministering that I have done now it's time to minister to myself. Because God does say that we have the power to speak things into existence so that's exactly what I've started to do...and all the other ladies on this forum that's going through this you have the power within you to change any situation and that's including your health by speaking it into existence..

Again, thank you so much. Sometimes we have to be reminded and encouraged. Thanks for doing that for me.🌹?

• Posted

Wnen I started taking Prometrium,  (bioidentical progesterone) it helped with my insomnia, mood swings, fuzzy hair on my face,  and skin break outs on my jaw line, shoulders and butt cheeks. Before peri started I had none of these symptoms.
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies.  I do take magnesium, but there are times that it does not help. i did take calcium and vit D supplement, which helped with my back of head migraines. Insomnia causes high blood pressure, that is why I cannot fall asleep the next night as well. My normal blood pressure was always very low, now that I do not sleep it getshigh and it just burns me and shakes my like severe anxiety. also, myhead is vertigo like. unfortunately I cannot take sleeping pills anymore since I came off of them years ago. I would just really hope that something gets better after peri and meno.
    • Posted

Have you ever taken Piriton?  It's a bit of an off the wall suggestion, I know, as it's an antihistamine, but it's so drowsy that people actually use it for a sleeping tablet.  I defy anybody to stay awake all night after taking one - honestly.  No harm to be caused by taking an A-H either, unless of course you're allergic to them for any reason.  

• Posted

Antihistamines make my heart palpitate, and my anxiety is worse. the drowsiness does not caue me to sleep, but the opposite. A while ago i was able to take a very small dab of Remeron, it would make me sleep, but with menopause even Remeron just makes me hallucinate and no sleep. It seems like my inner ear is to blame here, it must be congested somehow, because the hallucinations involve swirling motion. I am very prone to vertigo recently anyway. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.