severe intermittent abdominal pain last night

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, Yesterday evening I started having this excruciating pain at the upper centre of my abdomen around every 20 minutes. The pain would last about 3 minutes and i have honestly never experienced it in my life. It would radiate upwards and felt like my whole chest was burning. Pain went up to my ears but that went away.

The pain started up again last night and woke me up about 3 times, the third I vomited a small amount of food and it tasted like acid. I woke up this morning and my throat is sore and im coughing presumably due to the irritation of my throat. I also have this ache in my right shoulder. Its almost 5pm and havent had the pains since last night but shoulder still hurts.

What could it possibly be? I am in two minds about seeing a dr if the pain has gone 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Could be many things.  I am worried that it could be cardiac related as acid reflux and shoulder pain associated with chest pain can be cardiac related in women?  How are old you?  If your symptoms progress you should go to emergency room.  

THe other thing it could be is an ulcer.  An ulcer can sometimes cuase excruciating pain if it is deep enough.  I would definitely see a dr to see what he thinks.  

• Posted

thank you Adam, i'm 21 years old, severely anemic but taking iron for that. Have had an ecg done a few months ago after feeling breathless but that was a side effect of citalopram and the ecg came back clear, have stopped taking it the medication. the Dr at the hospital said that i was young and not to worry.

another thing is that my heart beats fast after just walking down the road for example, have checked my heart rate on my phone and it goes up to 132 bpm. I hardly do exercise so that is probably it but i have no idea if this is normal.

• Posted

Hi lizzy1287

You mention you are anaemic...have you had your B12 checked if you are B12 deficient it can cause stomach and digestive problems as well as fast heartbeat. Go see your doc and ask for your B12 to be tested......best wishes.....

• Posted

Hi lilian,

I had a blood test done specifically for vitamin b12 and iron, and the doc gave me iron tablets only, so im assuming the b12 was fine but will see him again if the pain carries on, thank you 

• Posted

Hi lizzy1287

Yes do keep a track of your b12 because anaemia and b12 deficiency go together...do ask your doc what your b12 levels are.....thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Ask your doctor for an ultrasound or HIDA scan of your gallbladder if symptoms go on for longer than a week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.