Severe intermittent upper abdominal/chest pain after gallbladder problems

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I am a 39 year old female who recently had my gallbladder removed. Before the removal they performed a ERCP to place a stent in my bile duct. When I woke from that procedure I had the worst chest burning I have ever had. They told me it was gas and it should subside. I suffered for 2 days in constant agony until it subsided and my middle chest was sore for 2 days after. After that I had my gallbladder removed in which both my colon and liver was adhered to my colon. Thankfully they were able to detach everything without having to cut out part of the bowel. The adhesion explained why I had severe constipation for the months prior, in which I had to take milk of magnesia to be able to have a bowel movement and I assumed that's what was causing the horrible episodes with chest burning. Since the surgery I am able to have normal bowel movements again but I do still have to take Milk of magnesia to help, more and more lately. Every few weeks I still have attacks of pain that feels like the worst heartburn I have ever experienced but it stays in my chest and has never caused my throat to burn and even a drink of water will make me burp. It lasts 15 to 45 minutes and goes away. It does seem to coincide with constipation sometimes and sometimes it happens after I take the milk of magnesia. They have prescribed me the most potent heartburn/gerd meds and nothing is helping with the pain or the episodes. I feel like I can tolerate pain pretty well but this pain has me rocking back and forth crying since no position alleviates it. I have an upper endoscopy in a couple weeks to remove the stent so I hope this helps them figure out what the issue is, but it seems like more than regular heartburn. It happens a lot after eating meals, especially cereal and pasta. I also feel the pain sometimes right before a bowel movement and then it goes away afterward. Some episodes are worse than others. I feel like my doctor isn't listening so I plan on getting a second opinion. I have tested negative so far for h pylori and blood work looks normal. Anyone have similar experiences?

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.