Severe itching after gall bladder removal.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed in February of this year. I had major open surgery because it had been left too long and fused to my duodenum so keyhole was not working.  It's been four long hard months of recovery and it's only been the last few weeks where I have really felt like I was pretty much my old self again however just a week ago I felt a piercing pain through the centre of my back into my chest similar to my gallbladder pain.  I also felt nauseous and vomitted quite badly on a coup,e of occasions again similar to by gall bladder episodes but what I noticed also was the severe all over itching.  I went to the A&E at you nearest hospital at the time and had a Liver Function test. I was told it was abnormal but given sickness relief and sent home.  Same thing happened the following day and again I attended the same hospital, had a Luver Function test, told it was pretty much the same as the previous night, given anti sickness and sent home. The pain in my chest had by this time gone.  The following day my doctor called me and asked if I could go see her.  I explained I felt unwell but I had also become extremely tired not able to stay awake.  She asked me to go for a blood test in the morning then to go to see her after.  I did just that.  On arrival at the surgery after my blood test her first words to me were' I can't believe your here and the hospital did not admit you'. She added my liver function tests came in at a measure of 1187.... I'm no doctor so I asked what it should be ... I was shocked when she told me it should be 30..... She phoned the hospital and sent me there with an over night bag.  I was admitted immediately.  After five days of waiting for an MRI I have temporarily discharged myself as I could not cope anymore however I will be returning on Friday for my MRI and what the next steps are.  I still itch terribly and was told this is a sign there is a problem with the liver.  The nausea is not so bad and the only pain I have right now is from my scar where the lady who carried out my ultra sound was so rough!  I have noticed many people in the gallbladder discussions talking about severe itching. All I can say is get yourselves to your doctors and get a liver function test as this is a definite sign of problems with the liver. I'm very lucky my doctor is on the ball !!!

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Elaine,

what a story. The things that happen and we survive. I can't believe that the Drs took so long to get you in for a MRI. 

Ive had my GB out with stones stuck in the bile duct. It too 10 years & 8 docs to finally find the source of my pain.Never heard of the GB fusing. The things that can happen to us sometimes is mind-boggling.

I also was stunned to hear of all the complications with your GB. 

I sure hope everything turns out for you OK.

HAve you been offered antihistimes or skin calming creams for itching. The hospital should have helped you for that. 

Hope to hear you are better soon. Keep us posted. 

• Posted

Hi Hope,

Still not had MRI, that's due Friday. I was given antihistamines for the itching but they don't really help. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I find the only pain I'm in right now is what I believe to be when the person doing the ultra sound pressed down so hard on and around my fresh scar of 4 months. Trouble is I don't know for sure now if I hurt because of that or infection... Time will tell I suppose. Good luck to you... Xxx

• Posted

So sorry to hear of you have been through, Elaine. It can be a nightmare for some of us that get delayed treatment, complications or simply fall through the gaps in the system. You mut have felt poorly with such raised enzymes in your liver. I felt unwell with only a slight raise in mine. Hope you soon get answers and they can treat you without any further delays. Best wishes.
    • Posted

Thank you Cynthia, the nausea and tiredness have eased but the itching is driving me mad...

I will have my MRI on Friday so hopefully we will find out what's going on. Thank you for your kind words xx

• Posted

Hi, I was just coming on the forum to update about myself and saw your post and it is exactly what I wanted to talk about. I had my GB removed  in August. I  never had the major pain that some experience but a contstant nagging and I suffered from major itching. My diet for 4 months up to my op was just gluten free porridge and veg soup that was it. We are now coming up to a year and I have got over the op very well but I continued to have this major itching problem. To cut a long story short I have found the problem. I have scurvy or to make it simple a Vitamin C deficency!! No dr has picked this up to which I am so mad.   I had noticed for a while I had got lots of tiny spots dark red/ bluey all over my body. My hair had gone brittle and very  thin to the point my scalp shows through and  I was constantly getting rashes and itching daily.  I took to Google and guess what Scurvy was the first thing that came up. I read that  destorted hair growth was another symptom, they grow like corkscrews and when I checked my legs they were many of these. I feel so mad with the drs but also relieved that I have found my problem. I put myslef of high does Vit C three weeks ago and the trasnformation is amazing. The itching has gone! My hair looks revitalized. My hairs on my lesg are now starting to grow through straight smile  It is such a simple solution and I recommend you try it as it cant do any harm. My Gastritis has settled which is amazing as the last year I have hardly been able to eat anything. I am now eating everything apart from onions as these give me reflux.  I had been on omeprazole for years and Now I am reading these can stop you absorbinb Vit C . I have stopped them and through keeping off onions my reflux has gone!  I hope this can help some one  then the suffering I have been through for the last year is all worth while.
    • Posted

Hi Jane, thank you so much for your response. The medication you mentioned, is it anti sickness by any chance?

How are you taking your vitamin C as I would like to give this s go and I will definitely be checking my legs in the morning cxx

• Posted

Hi Elaine, The medication is  a PPI which blocks the acid you produce. I had been on them for around four years.  I am taking 1,000 mg tablets whihc i just got off  Amazon. It really  would be worth you trying as they cant do any harm. For me it has been a miracle. It took about two weeks before I noticed any major difference so stick with it for at least 3 weeks I would suggest. I am hoping and praying that it solves your problem. Let me know how you get on

Jane x

• Posted

Will definitely try it. Can I get poi at a pharmacy or Holland and Barrett?

I have a friend who is a natural remedy expert and yoga instructor who lived in Aussie. She is also going to put some foods in place that will help also. If it works I will let you know. Thank you x

• Posted

Jane I'm going through this same problem also! No pain thankfully, but my hair is breaking & is so brittlesad & my face is oily & it's never been before. And my skin is dry & itchy all the time no matter what I do! So I'm really excited to hear about this! Can I just go out & buy vitamin C at my pharmacy & take 1,000 mgs everyday? Or is there a certain kind you have found that works best? I live in the US.

• Posted

Hi, Yes Holland and Barret should do them. I got mine from Amazon. I wish you  all the best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.