Severe knee pain after bending it

Posted , 5 users are following.

For several years now I have had a severe pain in my left knee upon straightening. After bending my knee for long periods of time I am unable to straighten my knee fully without being in agony and sometimes being unable to walk or move. The pain occurs down the outside of my left knee and is a sharp stabbing pain, sometimes this turns into a dull ache. My knee appears to be quite swollen around my knee cap. Sometimes pain occurs on the inside of my knee but this is not as often as the outside. I find that I am unable to walk after driving any distance. I regularly play hockey which involves a lot of turning suddenly. I also do karate which involves a lot of kicking. To the best of my knowledge I have not received any trauma to my knee. Since I was a little girl I have always sat on my left leg, which means I bend my left knee for a long period of time when sitting. I am now 18, maybe this could be the cause of my pain? I have been to my gp several times and have been told 'it'll go away in a few weeks'. After nearly 4 years of pain I'm desperate to find out what is wrong with my knee. If anyone could shed any light on the situation I would be extremely grateful.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you been to your GP? That would be my first port of call. Ask your GP if they can refer you to an orthopaedic consultant. This is what you really need to do.

Do not just struggle on. I struggle on with knee problems for years and eventually went to a GP who referred me to an orthopaedic consultant. I had a Total Knee Replacement 3 years ago and have never looked. back. I am not saying you need a knee replacement but I think you definitely need to see a consultant.

Take care and let me know ho you get on.

Sarah

• Posted

I have been to my gp several times in the last few years and it's always the same message 'it'll go soon' and it never does go. But I will definitely ask for the referral thanks for that! I'll let you know how I get on.
    • Posted

Hey how are I'm just giving you my personal opinion. It sounds like you have chondromalacia. It's basically where you have a tracking problem with your patella and it's not moving properly. Another term for it is jumpers knee an it makes a lot of sense bc of your symptoms. Can I ask you something when you get up I'm sure it hurts an very dull but once you start walking does it slowly get better. The same thing happened to me I use to be in agony just sitting in the backseat of the car or being at the movie theater then getting up would hurt so bad. Technically your doctors are right you are suppose to get better with time bc it is a inflammation problem but since you play sports it's not getting better. The only way you will truly get better is if you fix the source of the problem which is from the hips or ankles
    • Posted

Yeah it hurts a lot as soon as I straighten my knee, most of the time I can't even straighten it fully, but after I bend it and gradually straighten it a few times it eases off. This however does take a while, the dull pain remains for quite a while when I walk and as I am continually bending it, the pain usually lasts for a long period of time. Thank you for the reply!
  • Posted

It could be a number of things and should be examined by an ortho. If its bone, x rays would be enough but is its tissue, an mri would be necessary. Probably best to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible to prevent further damage should it be already damaged. I think sometimes Dr's don't take young people serious enough whence the discuss injuries. Unless its obvious they believe it's an imaginary pain and it will go away and be forgotten about. The knee is a such an abused joint its hard to get a grasp on the unbelievable pain you can be in an still be mobile
    • Posted

I've had one x-Ray and the doctor said everything seemed normal, no action and that nothing was wrong, even though I'm still in agony! I'll definitely consider seeing an orthopedic consultant, just hoping this will be sorted as soon as possible. Thank you for the help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.