Severe knee swollen painful groin and hips too

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi as anyone else suffered this and what was outcomes im trying to put of going to see gp but it getting unbearable any advice welcome

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I've never heard of this. Maybe you pulled something. Go see your doctor asap. Good luck.

• Posted

This needs to be addressed by a Dr asap. You might even consider emergency room. From your description it sounds like an injury but you can be assured it won't go away on its own.

• Posted

Hi jill73277, I have had a sprained knee for almost 5 months now, I had no surgerys being ortho doc can't really find anything wrong within knee by x rays or mri's other than a sprain i had gotten, though through mri's & x rays to my lower back do show I have 3 disc bulges pinched nerves that may be causing the issue in my knee that could also be causing my other issues that sound some what like yours that you are experiencing.

I do get the swollen knee even though I had not had surgery, I get horrible pains side & of groin area as well inner thigh pulls when I move my leg some what outwards with pain going around the hip, when I get up from sitting even short period of time my whole leg wants to lock up involuntarily from the glut down grabbing hold of my knee as though my leg is going to break at the knee, my feet even swell up from sitting or walking though no one can figure out much of what is going on I just keep dealing with the pain daily it's not easy being I have to use a walker every place I go being I can't walk without it, can't sit nor stay standing too long & don't like laying down much..going to see a Chiropracter tomoorrow hopefuly he may find what is wrong with me so in the mean time just praying for a miracle & I hope & pray that you recover soon from all what you are going through..God Bless

• Posted

Hi Jill. I'm not sure if you are experiencing this following a TKR or not, as you didn't say what precipitated this. However, I can tell you that I had this happen to me following my TKR. Pain radiated into my groin and hip and I was assured that this is a normal possibility, due to muscle and nerve damage in addition to the realignment of the knee. Honestly most of my post-op pain occurred everywhere in the leg area except the knee itself. Stretching, ice, heat, anti-inflammatories ibuprofen or voltages gel) are all good treatments but of course if you are ever concerned about persistent pain it's always a good idea to call your physicians office and discuss this with one of their nurses to get their input. Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Dee i am suffering groin, hip and general muscle pain the whole side of my body on the TKR side. I'm 5 months post op and am so depressed with this. I've spoke to my doc and rheumy but the rheumy says its my back (i have a scoliosis) and my gp doesn't seem to know. I see the surgeon in three weeks for the six month check up

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. I have terrible pain in my groin and hip and back following my TKR of 5 months ago but still don't know why. I hope you find out

Pam

• Posted

Have them do a back mri and see if you have a pinched nerve in your lower back. Siatica nerve can create this type pain and its not uncommon in post op TKR people. I finally had to have a series of injections plus massage and PT designed for lower back.
  • Posted

im sat here and in a lot of pain.Usually starts with lower back pain followed by severe groin pain which causes me to limp and cry out it hurts so much.The pain radiates down to my right knee which has really swollen at least to double the size.Its Saturday night and unless i call 111 i will have to put up with it til Monday.Should i wait,Could it be something that needs checking straight away?
    • Posted

That could very possibly be Siatica. It comes from your lower back. You may either have to see a pain management guy or at least try a few chioripratic treatments. It isn't unusual after TKR. The Siatica nerve gets pinched and can pretty much dibilitate you. You could try alternating heat and cold packs 10 mins at a time and doing some streatching exercises. I wound up having spinal injections to get mine loosened up. If you are in physical therapy, talk to your therapist. He or she may have a machine the can put you on for a few sessions. I had t o have injections but the problem went away. It isn't a pain to be scoffed at because it is severe and very real.

• Posted

Ive not had an op.  I have osteoarthritis and had sciatica years ago but was never as painful as this. Ive had groin pain for months that comes and goes but this is really bad and never had swollen knee and ankle til now.
  • Posted

Dear Jill.I totally get you. I have had recurrent lower back and groin pain for months but for the last 5 weeks the groin pain has got worse and my knee is painful and swollen. My GP said it wasnt my arthritis but groin pain coming from my back.whats called referred pain.Pain worsened and saw same G.P  who said its my right hip and am now awaiting xray results. Gave me Zapain as i cant take strong painkillers.Still in agony.Its like someone sticking a knife in my groin and makes me cry out.it gets worse when i walk,stretch and after carrying heavy things.Im at a loss to know what to do next.Should i go private and see a chiropractor.Pam.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.