Severe leg cramps and insomnia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking 1x 15mg mirtazipine a day for 5 weeks now. In the last 6 days I am starting g around 9pm to get very bad leg cramps, and by 11/12pm my good god my legs and whole body is in agony!!! Sleep ha ha ha!!! What's that, I haven't had a full nights sleep in over 3 weeks and I'm tired now. I don't want to increase the mirtazipine due to weight gain already (1.5-2 stone) in 5 weeks but has anyone got any advice???

Or suffered from this before!!???

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think anyone who has a weight gain problem with this drug should talk to their doctor about it. The carbohydrate craving brought on by this drug is thought to be because it causes cells to take up sugar from the blood. Look up "Cramp" on Wikipedia and you'll find: "Hypoglycemia and reactive hypoglycemia are associated with excess insulin (or insufficient glucagon), and avoidance of low blood glucose concentration may help to avoid cramps."

I, personally, found this drug brought on restless leg syndrome, but have not before associated it with cramps, although I do suffer from them. (Eating a very high protein seems to keep them at bay for me).

• Posted

Hi Robert, I suffer from rls but it's not bothered me for at least 4 years. It's only since I started taking this mirtazipine that my legs have bothered me and my gosh they hurt. I can't keep the buggers still ha ha. 
    • Posted

Mmm, I'd see if there isn't another drug (or whatever)  that's better for you. I hope there is.
  • Posted

Hi CC, what time of day do you take your Mirtazapine please? I always think it's better after 8 pm, say 10pm and in an hour or two you might pass out. The eating cravings will hopefully kick in while you sleep and so won't be answered smile . I haven't had cramp issues with Mirt but I'd be tempted to treat them as if they are exercise induced. I hope you fell better tonight. David.

• Posted

I have restless legs on this bout hour after I take it, and never had it b4, and usually bout same time start to feel a bit sleepy. Have to say after bout 4 weeks, I seem to be getting better, so maybe worth sticking g with it if you can

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.