severe leg pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am in severe pain at the moment. I have been taking statins for about 3 months. For the last week I have had pain in my right calf. Felt like a trapped nerve but now the pain is excruciating. Didn't take a statin last night and won't be taking any more. Will try to get an appointment with my Doctor but that usually takes 3 weeks, so will have to go to hospital I think. :cry: :cry:

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

found a very early post here that said anti-histimine helped (for allergies)

Took one straight away and symptons eased within half an hour. Still need to see doctor but will keep taking Clarityn for now.

• Posted

Just stay off them. My life with them was a nightmare. Leg pain was excruciating. Don't take them and you will get better. Stay on them and you will feel about 90.
  • Posted

thanks for the support Lady Frances.

I haven't improved yet. Went to Doc. yesterday. He took a blood test to see if I'd had an allergic reaction to the drug. No help or suggestions to ease the pain though - other than stay off the pills! still in excruciating pain - hope to goodness this gets better, otherwise I'll be jumping off a building!!!

IS THIS A CLINICAL TRIAL DO YOU THINK??!!

• Posted

In reply to pollyc - just had hol in Oz - didn't take my simvastatin with me - had to take loads of anti-histamines because of mossie bites - and my pains were almost nil! I thought it was because I had laid off the sims -maybe not eh? I am trialling not taking sims now home because pains were excrutiating after one week back on them - things are improving but pains disappear and swollen lumpy foot is near normal if I take an anti-histamine so thanks for the info!!
  • Posted

Hey Ivc. Great to hear that! I have been to the docs. He pulled a face when I told him I had taken an anti-histamine and said he couldn't see how they would have any effect. But they have definately worked for me. I still have the pains but not nearly as severe. Your brave to go back onto Simvastatin - I won't be taking any more!!!
  • Posted

I was put on Simvastatin because of rising cholesterol (which, I believe, was due to Methotrexate - prescribed for psoraisis and psoriatic arthritis). Within 2 weeks of taking 40mg per day, I was getting severe pain in my legs and ankles - so took myself off again. I also took myself off Methotrexate after 6 months because it was causing liver and gall bladder problems. So here I am, six months on, with symptoms I have never experienced before. I wish I had listened to my sixth sense and stayed off all medication to begin with!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.