Severe lower back pain left suddenly disappeared

Posted , 3 users are following.

In the past few weeks I've been having pain in my left lower back, from the ribs to the pelvis/hip (iliac crest) radiating to my butt and the outer side of my leg. The pain wasn't continuously the same. One moment it was worse than another and sometimes it was more painful in the ribs than in the iliac crest area or vice versa.

The part between ribs and butt didn't hurt so much. It was really in/around the bones of the ribs and pelvis/hip/iliac crest. The pain in the rib area felt just sore, as if I had bruised ribs (have had some bruised ribs before, so I know how that feels), and the pain around the iliac crest was a very painful burning pain radiating to the butt and leg as said before.

I also have pain in most of my ribs in the other parts of my rib cage since about 3 months and I have pain in my right upper abdomen (seems also swollen). Blood tests for liver and kidney function came back normal 2 months ago. My doctor thought it was costochondritis.

This afternoon, I suddenly had severe pain in my left lower back between the ribs and the butt (where I haven't had much pain before, it was all the time in the parts of the lower back where there is none). I really didn't know what to do anymore. There was no position that made it any less painful and painkillers didn't help at all.

I was about to call the doctor and while I was doubting if I should call my family doctor or the hospital, the pain all of a sudden stopped completely after getting worse for about 10 minutes beforehand. I still feel sore in my lower back, but it is that kind of sore you get when an injury is almost healed.

I don't understand that it went from extreme pain to no pain in a matter of seconds. Does anyone recognize this or have any idea what this might be/have been? I was by the way urinating normally and that didn't cause any additional pain.

I'm thinking about a kidney stone that finally passed or a nerve that was stuck and got loose. But I don't know if that makes any sense. Should I still go see a doctor even though the pain is as good as gone?

Thanks in advance for reading my post and taking the time and effort to comment!

2 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.