SEVERE MOOD SWINGS

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anybody have a feeling that they are on an emotional roller coaster? Also, hot flashes don't help. If so, how long does this last? Is it my circumstances or is it my hormones? I've been to the doctor and they just want to pump me full of anti depressants and tranquilizers. I do not take hormones, as I am a smoker and I am afraid to.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello mary. I remember speaking to a doctor ( in my role as a nurse) regarding women who smoke and HRT. He told me that it's completely different to the contraceptive pill. With HRT you are replacing hormones that aren't there, or are almost depleted therefore it's not such a risk. I'm sure there's research online to confirm this. As to your flashes then that's a difficult question to answer as every woman is different. You know antidepressants aren't the answer. You aren't clinically depressed you're in the early stages of the menopause.
  • Posted

Yup all of the above. On medication and HRT. Is smoking the only reason you won't take the hrt?

If so you may want to consider quitting. Every woman is different some suffer longer than others and worse than others . You can only decide what is best for you.  For me quality most important than longevity .  Don't want to be miserable while I am here .  Best to you. 

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Yes I know exactly how you feel. My moods are all over the place.  When I went on HRT just over 3 years ago it improved my mood and even my hubby noticed.  I was previously on anti-depressants but came off them and didn't go back on them since taking the HRT.  However, I'm now 50 and have found out I've got fibroids (HRT make them grow bigger) so I'm having to wean myself off the HRT.  I can feel the mood swings returning already!

Why not try some herbal medication?  I've recently started Starflower so I'm giving it a chance to get into my system.  It has good reviews as does other herbal medication.  I'm sure some of the other ladies on here will be only too willing to give you advice on herbal medication.

Good Luck x

• Posted

Hi mary

I am and have been on the emotional roller coaster, sometimes irritated and snappy then feeling like your going to cry or start crying for no apparent reason, I am on antidepressants already.

I am now taking hrt since Tuesday last, at the moment I dont feel any benefit from it but have to allow time I suppose, I am a smoker but with many symptoms you get with peri some of us need the hrt tabs such as I.

The docs gave me alot of information about the risks etc asked about family history and booked a double appointment so we could have time to discuss it. I will be having regular checks, and if he is not happy then we will try something else.

Menopause just does not give a rollacoaster of moods theres hell of alot more problems that come with it.

I hope you feel better soon love take care x

• Posted

Some roller coaster ride, isn't Mary? No telling how long it will last, I've been in peri for 9 yrs......yet my symptoms only went full board the beginning of this year. I am hoping that with the intensity of symptoms, it can only mean that I must be coming close to a conclusion of this utter nonsense, soon. Somedays (like today) I can't even stand myself. I am so short-tempered today and actually have been for past few days. We're getting ready to go visit family for the upcoming holiday this week. I love my family and can't wait to see them, but I can't seem to concentrate well enough to organize everything to pack, so I don't leave something important behind. That brain fog is a real humdinger-hate it! Thankfully I am blessed to have my husband, thank God really! So, right now I am taking a time out, reading this forum and I see your post. 

It will get better, just not quick enough for any of us. And I am reminding my ownself, this will pass, even though right at this moment, I fear I'll be a wackadoodle for the rest of my life (I won't, just feels like it!).

Tried the HRTs for very short term, because I already have fibroids and well, let's just say, the ones I was given simply weren't a good fit. Tried the Antidepressant bit, but while the symptoms come and go, they are constant (anxiety and depression) so that didn't really help much either. I am trying yoga, supplements and simply keeping myself so busy (for me, that seems to be the best medicine, so I don't focus on the awful feelings) when I can. There are times it is hard to motivate. 

I do love this forum and am very thankful for all the nice women on here. I don't feel so alone with symptoms that others may not understand. 

See what works for you, HRTs may, talk to the doctor and see what they say about the smoking biz. Not sure.

I do hope you feel better, you sure aren't alone on this wild emotional roller coaster ride. wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.