Severe mucus in my throat is ruining my life

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I’m a healthy 16 year old female (well i was healthy, anyways). Recently I’ve started suffering with what seems to be post nasal drip and sinusitis. I am known to get sinus infections very often but it has always just been that I’ve felt pressure in my face, which I’ve been easily able to dealt with. However now, I have very heavy, thick mucus built up in my throat but can’t do much about it, I’ve tried coughing it up but nothing comes out. All this mucus in my throat makes me incredibly nauseous and I’m having trouble going through with my daily activities. I’m missing a lot of school because I can no longer bring myself to go. Perhaps this has also taken a toll on my mental health because i enter a state of panic whenever I must leave my house. I should also mention i have a phobia of vomit so as you might see, the nausea is ruining my life. I’m currently taking omeprazole 2x daily and am also on antibiotics for sinusitis. Also, i use an azelastine nasal spray 2x daily, however I don’t feel any congestion at all in my nose. Every morning I feel that it gets worse, that the build up gets bigger. My parents are worried that this will eventually turn into something extremely serious and that I will fall extremely behind in my schoolwork. We are all unsure of what to do, my physician is not very helpful and i feel as if she does not take me very seriously. This is taking over my life however, I’m simply not enjoying my life anymore. I’ve been dealing for about 2 weeks now and am worried after reading many forums that I’ll live with this forever.  If anyone has any tips as to what types of doctors I should see or any medications i should take to thin out the mucus/get rid of it please, please let me know,  i am very desperate!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anna. Some people feel that a saline nasal rinse helps. Neilmed is the one I use. 
  • Posted

Hi Anna,

Firstly, take things easy and calm down. Take away the desperation because it does not help and to avoid complication. The trouble will stop but it will take a while. I had similar experience when I was 16 too more than 20 years ago now. I tried everything available then but it was gradual. What you can do is to take more of hot water to clear your chest. avoid cold things as much as possible. Then you can browse the internet for available options of medicine you can use, then carefully choose one with the help of a physician. Above all, pray about it to God.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.