Severe muscle pain and spasms

Posted , 4 users are following.

please help, my husband ( a previously very fit, active, healthy 59yr old) took just 1 dose of 70mg alendronic acid and 15hrs later suddenly developed such severe back muscle pain and spasms that he collapsed screaming and crying in pain. Paramedic said he had seen 1 case of same reaction in 5 years.Completely incapacitated and bed bound for 3 days on tramadol and diazepam before able to begin mobilising with crutches.  Now day 6 feels so unwell he is in despair and feels that his life has been ruined by this drug! I have since found so many terrifying stories about the effects of this drug, how can the GP say it's unuusual/rare whilst agreeing that there can be no other cause for my husbands conditon

Is there anything he can do to remove this poison and it's effects from his system? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sandra,

The information I gathered from the net was it would take about a week for one of these pills to go through your system.

I drank a litre of water, one cup of coffee (instead of the normal two) per day. I figured I'd flush the little beggar away. I also upped my intake of salads and organic fish (rarely eat meat). This worked for me, though it may not for others.

I hope your hubby's feeling a bit better.

B

• Posted

Thanks barbs, it's a week today and not better but different symptoms 😞 can only hope will wear off soon as other posts about llong-term/lasting effects very scary and doesn't seem to be anything positive out there on the Web
    • Posted

Dear Barbs, gaynor & gloria, I'm happy to report that it actually seems to be wearing off and hubby is much better. We consider ourselves very lucky after what we have discovered about this poison. Hubby says he thought he was going to be  permanently wheelchair bound. He still has pain but is able to go to work.  He is justifiably very angry  and says will never,ever take ANY prescription drugs or visit a Dr again.

thanks for your kind words and support

• Posted

Hello Sandra,

Excellent news of your hubby being so much better he's able to return to work.

I can fully understand his anger as we all put our trust in our G.P.'s.

Kind regards, Barbssmile

• Posted

So pleased your husband is better and back to work.  What a scare

though.

Kind Regards Gloria

• Posted

Hi Sandra. I too Had a bad reaction from taking one dose of alendronic acid, although nowhere near as bad as your husband  has suffered. Its a cheap and nasty drug. Just wondering... as I was prescribed it for osteoporosis. I am now on a course of six monthly injections of Denusonab. Two months in and I have had no side effects at all. Because these injections are expensive consultants are reluctant to prescribe them so it might be worth some research on your part if your husbands condition is in any way similar to my own. Hope this is useful. Cant say enough about the negativity of alendronic acid . Best wishes
    • Posted

Hello Gaynor76067,

I too was offered the monthly injections (£3000 a year was mentioned). I declined as they would only put 10 per cent density back over a three year period. I asked to be referred to a nutritionist instead and was told there wasn't one at the hospital. "Guinea Pig" for the pharma companies comes to mindquestion It's good the Denusonab agrees with yousmile

Kind regards, Barbs

• Posted

Dear Sandra

My Dr. said to me after Allendronic Acid gave me lockjaw (happened on only the    3rd tablet)  "it could be one of many things".  They do cover themselves, don't they.

My experience was really frightening and it seemed like ages before it wore off.

I tried to research it too, by talking to my dental nurse and even a pharmacist. They

both said "take it".  I wish I handn't.

Speedy recovery to your husband. 

I sat looking at the tablet for ages before I decided to take one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.