Severe muscular contractions and pain, why?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Its been happening for ~10 years. First my face and hands get tingly, then my fingers begin to cramp, then they contract, the contraction goes up my arms and then my legs begins to tingle, my fingertips are now involuntarily touching my wrist with my knuckles facing my chest. I fall to the ground in a ball and deal with the pain and contraction for rougly 2 minutes before it slowly relieves itself as quickly as it came.

I have had a total of ~9 attacks like this in my life. The first one was while I was floating along a river, I jumped into my float to avoid drowning, barely did. Paramedics said I had dehydrated, I had plenty of water.

The next one was during school, a year later, I was waiting in a side room for paperwork to fill out when it started happening, this time I had issues breathing, but I contributed the breathing issue to having a panic attack.

The next time I was excitedly playing games with a friend at their house (2 years later) when I suddenly dropped the controller and was again unable to control my hands as they began to contract towards my chest. No warning.

5 years ago while driving it just randomly started happening, I pulled over, waited for it to end, and moved on. I have had a few attacks since then but they are mostly me at home with no other differences, usually when I'm using the PC.

My face gets really numb during this too, like REALLY numb, as if it fell asleep and my face was being pricked by thousands of needles.

I have been previously admitted for rye neck at 8 yrs old and sustained a back injury when I was 15 that was never really checked out. (Was pushing a dolly with a 300 lb filing cabinet down a vary narrow stairwell when the wheels slipped and pulled my back straight downward while I was pulling backwards, my body build at the time was your typical skaters build)

Why do I get these attacks and should I see a doctor about them?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Wry Neck* not Rye neck
  • Posted

You should have been seen by a doctor after the first event. It sounds like a terrible and frightening situation, probably one for a neurologist.

GP could run some blood tests to check viamin and minerals especially magnesium and calcium.

Can I ask why you haven't been seen by a doctor?

• Posted

I wasn't seen after the first event because I did not have health insurance. Now that I do have health insurance all of my blood and metabolic panels have come in clean, and I am being sent to a GI for the possiblity of Celiac. (That appointment isn't for a couple more months)

My mom has fibromyalgia, and I am quite confident I have it too (also haven't been seen for this yet either) but I don't think it has to do with this. This is more involuntary contraction then random pain or tics (which I also get, but not in the typical twitch way, but more of a muscular spasm that occurs in random places of the body for no good reason at a super fast rate, almost if a single muscle was flexing and releasing independently of the supporting muscles.

Its been weird and I'd like to know what it is, but appointments have been difficult to get, referrals harder.

• Posted

Might also be an endocrine problem, if you can afford it I would suggest checking bloods to determine whether or not your adrenal function is adequate. When my cortisol level was rock bottom, I had similar experiences to you...might be worth checking?

• Posted

I really don't think that can be it with my blood pressure. It runs 135/90 quite often and with medication it sits at 120/80. A lot of the other symptoms fit too though, I will definitely ask to have it checked during my next visit.
  • Posted

What are your thoughts and suspicions re diagnosis?
    • Posted

I agree with it being neurological at this point, I just can't find anything that isn't some sort of severe condition or obviously not what I have. It seems a lot like temporary cerebral palsy but it hurts BADLY. Dystonia maybe?
    • Posted

"Another type of focal dystonia is torticollis, which is spasm of the neck muscles."

Wry neck is also known as torticollis. I may have found the culprit.

• Posted

Or closer is Athetosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.