Severe Nausea and no appetite since stopping Mirtazipine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was taking mirt for about 3 months, 15mg per day. then about 2 months ago the dr upped it to 30mg. I started having seizures and severe panic attacks, couldnt eat of sleep, nightmares and tremors and a bunch of other terrible things. We found out that the mirt gave me something called serotonin syndrom, so the dr said to stop taking it immediately. I started taking benedryl as per the dr orders, 75mg at night to help with sleep - one of my other meds keeps me from sleeping. it seemed to be making me more nauseaus so i stopped taking that and tried a natural approach, a herbal supplement sleep aid with meletonin, valerian root, hops and a few other things. It sees to work good so far but i am still so sick feeling. I havent been able to eat solid food for days. I am able to drink a boost shake so i can take other medicines but just barely. I am also having some depression and discouragement, and constant worry.

Has anyone had symptoms like this? Any way to make the side affects not as bad, at least to the point that i can eat something? I cannot go back on the med but i dont know how much more of this i can take.****

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hello, im not a medical person, but i dont think you had seratonin syndrome, 30mg is too low for that to happen. going from 15mg to 30mg, can certainly increase your anxiety, to cause the symptoms you had. increases in anti depressants usually cause initial increases in anxiety, which after a couple of weeks die down. sometimes the increase in anxiety is too much to handle, and you have to drop the dose. stopping mirt alltogether is quite a drastic move. you have withdrawal to deal with, and the initial anxiety issue you originally had, is now not being treated. if i were you, i would seek a second opinion. its likely you need some sort of anti depressant. some people are very sensitive to meds, and they need smaller doses and smaller increases, in order to get over the initial increases in anxiety. someone i know was having huge issues with insomnia after coming off mirt. tried allsorts, eventually tried valerian, which sorted it. give the valerian plenty of time to work. your anxiety and insomnia should gradually improve. you could also try cbd oil, which would help with both. apart from these 2, nothing else seems to work, or they do like benedryl, but they make you feel like s**t the next day. you could try just valerian on its own, to make sure you are taking enough of it. im a bit sceptical about melatonin and hops. cbd oil works for me.

• Posted

I already take several other meds. including anti depressant. they put me on mirt for sleep and appetite. as far as the serotonin syndrome I went by what the Dr told me. And it was not drastic stopping altogether because I was having seizures multiple times a day, once while I was Driving. thanks for your reply. valerian does nothing for sleep by itself, I tried that already.

• Posted

hello, sorry for my reply, i wasnt aware you were taking other anti depressants, in which case seratonin syndrom could happen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.