Severe nausea with Flu

Posted , 2 users are following.

ive been sick a week with a nasty flu bug. At first it was the typical cold, cough body aches. Now on day 7 it's been unbearable with nausea, no throwing up and diahrea for 4 days. I can barely eat a cracker or jello and sipping on liquids, water, diluted juice, Gatorade the like. Has anyone ever suffered like this with their gut?  Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm worried about dehydration the Dr put me on antibiotics yesterday and now m sure they aren't helping my cause,

thanking you 

hanging by a thread..

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi jannie26408

You obviously have an infection give the antibiotics chance to do their job. You will feel a difference about 3-4 days of taking the AB's. If your worried about dehydration drink plenty liquids that contain a little salt  because when you are constantly being sick you lose sodium. Also drink water not too cold, it's a, bit harsh o the tum, drink it tepid.....hope this helps...best wishes...

• Posted

HI jannie26408

Make absolutely sure you take the whole course of antibiotics......all the best...

• Posted

Thanks Lillian but I can't keep them going as no food in my gut and making me even more sick. The nausea won't let up and I'm very anxious with getting weaker....I'm going see my Dr again today.... 
  • Posted

Please excuse me if I'm stepping over the line, but could you be pregnant?

Antibiotics won't help you one bit if you have a flu-like bug, that's viral not bacterial. You need some tests and the dr. shouldn't stick with a "bug" diagnosis if your symptoms are this bad for this long.

I'm sorry you're sick and weak like this!  Try electrolyte-filled fluids like pedialyte and even pops made from frozen liquids like it (can buy them or make yourself). Even if you just crush it up and chew like ice chips or suck like an ice pop, you can at least get that much hydration back.

GL at the Dr.!

• Posted

Thanks Avaline. Absolutely no.... 59 here.... Still can't get any relief from the nausea. Forcing drink and toast otherwise I'm off to see Dr again today....thanks to all for answering. This is a great place to have!!

tring to follow ght the good fight but oh so weak......

smile

• Posted

I'm heading into week 2. Spent last Thurs/ Fri on an IV then again today and tomorrow. Dr says its a nasty intestinal flu that has wiped out my gut flora. The cramps and nausea are what is getting me down. This could take awhile to heal. Put me on beef broth with L-Glutamine 5x2 times daily. Plus some super strength probiotics. See where it goes. I see her again Thurs. Hope im feeling better by then. This has been the worst virus I've ever had and trying to stay calm but with crumby sleep and pain 24/7 it's tough to do.  I'm praying for a shift this next couple of days. They took me off the antibiotics which were also making me sick.

Wishing you all well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.