Severe neck pain when I try to turn my head?

Posted , 30 users are following.

Sometime last night I woke up, and when I tried to lift my head, I felt a pop in my neck. It only hurt a little bit, like when you sleep with your head in an awkward position. I went back to sleep, but when I woke up this morning it still felt like i'd slept on it wrong. After struggling with sharp burning pain in the whole right side of my neck I finally managed to sit up. I can't stand up without getting that same pain. I can't turn my head to the left or right or look up or down at all without this intense pain. If I lift my right arm I get the same pain, but so far I seem to be able to move my left without any problems. I have woke up to a sore neck after sleeping on it funny many times, and this is a thousand times worse than that. I do remember feeling a pop, so I don't know if I jerked it somehow, or what. As long as I hold my head perfectly still it just feels like I slept on it wrong, but any movement is unbearable. The pain seems to originate right at the back bottom right side of my neck, and extends all the way to the base of my skull, and out along my shoulder. I can't lean forward or back without feeling like my neck is going to break. I also feel a little light headed. This is unbearable. I can't move without pain. I need somebody to tell me something.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Screw me... I must've pulled it, because i was laying on the ground and moved a bit and got the same shooting pain throughout my neck and most of my spine, oddly. Then it just resided to the left side of my neck. now i cant look down, which I guess is lucky, but I'm 13 and have soccer, piano, etc. so most of what I do does with me looking down a lot. It sucks. Hope everyone else didn't have to go to the doctor, cause we just don't. I eat apples everyday, so apple a day bs?

• Posted

I'm feeling pain on my right side. It started out with my arm hurting but it left and then at 5 AM I couldn't move my neck to the right. It hurts a little to move my arm up but it's not bad. Please help me I'm only 11 and I'm afraid if school is going to make it worse.

• Posted

Ive been feeling the same except for me when i move even just a little i feel a lot of pain coming from my neck i can barely move my head and i think theres some explosion earlier when i wake up and i strech it and then explode and now it hurys so bad

• Posted

Hello,

I am a gymnast and compete in national tournaments and competitions around 3-5 times a year. I spend a great deal of my time training, sustaining injuries, and recovering before starting the process over again. Throughout my career I have suffered some of the most excruciatingly painful injuries including, a broken tail-bone, shattered collarbone, cracked jaw, snapped femur, several broken arms, ribs and fingers... After each accident I have, all I want to do is quit but my training must continue to and the motivation of friends and family keep me focused on my final goal. I am only 23 years old, bright eyed and rearing to go but I can say with confidence that on February 13th, 2013 I endured the most painful event in my life. Broken collarbone, broken tailbone, and broken femur. These are among the top 5 most painful bones to break but what happened to me on that day far exceeded any of them, in fact it far exceeded the pain of all three combined! It happened during the build up for the Men's Under 20's Gymnastics Competition. I was attempting a triple back-flip double cork-screw which was a slightly risky twist on a common and familiar stunt that I have known for several years. I felt confident with the trick and had attempted it before and succeeded but it is not the sort of stunt I would attempt regularly as a lot of concentration and effort is required. It was getting late and I had been and the Gymnasium for several hours practising overtime and I was being pressured into attempting this "special trick" by some of my long-time colleagues. I felt confident despite my fatigue so I agreed and made my way to the trampoline arena to warm up. During the warm up I started to feel the effect of fatigue on my performance and began to notice sudden waves mild dizziness wash over me but seeing how excited my friends and colleagues were I knew I couldn't abort, after all I'd done it before right? Simple... I soon started on my build-up to the stunt and began to have doubts and second thoughts but it was to late to abort. The dizziness got worse and I began to feel as though I was going to vomit but for some stupid reason I continued, too proud and cocky to abort. On my final jump my launch was good and I started to enter a high speed spin then everything went black! My fatigue combined with the high levels of G-force experienced during this specific stunt had caused a black out and the next thing I knew, there was a panicked paramedic hunched over my lifeless body. I felt no pain at first and thought all was fine. I tried to move my hand. Nothing happened but yet I still experienced the sensation movement. I faded in and out of consciousness, the pain becoming more and more excruciating each time I came to. I was completely confused and riddled with searing pain from head to toe. After 3 days of laying in a hospital bed, with tubes and monitors protruding from all over my body, my head and neck rigged out with huge medical contraptions, a nurse gave me the news that something very terrible has happened... Then it hit me and tears started rolling down my face... All this time I had been convinced it wasn't anything too serious and that I would be back on my feet doing what I love best within a couple of weeks at the most. But that was never a possibility. I had broken my C1 and C2 vertebrae in my neck and was lucky to even be alive. But I would never walk again.

• Posted

Hi guys this is suraj n i m having sort of similar problem like i m not able to move my neck to my left n am having a severe pain when i try to look to left or bottom or top but none sort of prblm moving my head to right ..any help on that??
  • Posted

I know it's been 2 years since you posted this but I'm experiencing the same symptoms and I really need to know if you figured out what was wrong with you. I in major pain and it hurts so bad I can't stop crying...thanks.

• Posted

this happened to me and it was excrutiating so i rested it iced it for ages i also heated it then i took ibuprofen also doing some mild neck stretches so it didnt seize up
  • Posted

I woke up this morning with exactly this. I can’t move my head or half of my right side. I can’t stop crying and it hurts so bad. I’m 14 and I need to work today and I actually had horse riding lessons but I canceled it because I can’t even stand up with steaming from the pain. Is there anything I can do?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.