Severe nerve damage

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 17/ female and 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Giant Cell tumor on my spine in sacrum area. It caused A LOT of damage to my L5 nerve, the pain started as sciatica (mostly thigh). After my tumor-removal surgery, I've had screws put into my pelvis and spine to release the pressure from my sacrum. One of these screws damaged my L5 even more and all of my pain moved to my left foot. The sensations in my foot are just all over the place, some days i have pins and needles, others I don't, I've lost most of the sensation at the bottom of my foot and also back of my leg, I can't bend my big toe and i've also lost the ability to move my foot outwards and thats why it is now turned inwards at the ankle. (I'm soon having a tendon transfer to fix that) This has been going on for 2 years (since march 2014) and I've been told by my doctor that my nerve is probably pernamently damaged. Now my question is if there is anything I can do to try to make it better. I was taking Lyrica (pregabalin) but It doesn't do a thing anymore and im currently on Amytriptiline. But are there any natural home remedies/other pain killers/ creams/ foods that I should eat/ vitamins I should take, anything that would help with the pain? And if there are any treatments, should I apply them to my foot (affected by pain) or my back (pain originating from)

This is making my life very difficult! Because of the tendon being shortened I can't straight out my knee and I can only walk with crutches and only short distances, otherwise I need a wheelchair. Now I'm a 17 (soon 18) years old girl and this is not a way of life that I want to live anymore!

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Nata,

I am so so sorry for what you have been through.  I have nerve damage - neuropathy in my right foot and I am on a high dose of Gabapentin instead of Lyrica.  I have all sorts of pain in my foot too.  I recently had a sympathetic nerve block and it helped with the pain but not the numbness in my foot for a week.  Since that helped they progressed to an RFA - radio frequency ablation - where they burn the nerve ending of the nerve that has been damaged. It's been about 3 weeks.  I would say the pain has improved a little.  But it takes 6-8 weeks to really know.  I am going to try amitriptyline too. 

Also, I get lidoderm patches and I keep one across the top of my foot all the time.  It makes a huge difference.  Good luck to you!

Linda

• Posted

Hello Nata,  you have been through a lot for such a young age.  Idon't know of any natural treatments for this type of pain as i would try anything myself for nerve pain. I take Gaberpentin and Amitriptyline for mine. The amitriptyline is good at helping with sleep. I hope someone will know of something we can all try other than the meds we are currently taking.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Elizabeth,

I know the amitriptyline is also an antidepressant.  I was told that if you take this - you WILL gain weight.  Hav eyou found this to be true?

Linda

• Posted

Lindagkelly,

It is a antidepressant but its used a lot now for nerve pain. I have gained weight but it could be the Gaberpentin as well. All these drugs tend to have this effect on some people. I have to battle all the time with my weight. It's the lesser of two evils.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi.  With regards to natural remedies, I have done a little searching and am hoping Curcumin and vitamin D3 will help me post herniated disk surgery. I've been taking them for 3 weeks now. I can't say I've had any life changing experience with them, but my understanding is that taking supplements work long term.. I can definately say that the research on thes 2 supplements makes for interesting reading and like me,  you may want to give them a try. Good luck. 
    • Posted

turmeric has also proven to be a natural anti-inflammatory agent. Best of luck to you!
    • Posted

That is the primary reason I am taking it. Importantly, it should be noted that it is reported to thin the blood, it's not recommended to take up to 2 weeks pre surgery.  
    • Posted

*SSHOLE DOCTOR: So he's following up asking if the RFA's did any good.  I say about 30%. Not a big improvement, but now I have a good day once in a while.  He writes off the whole thing as a success! He is going to do the same thing for my left thigh which is a lot more complicated.  I told him I have read about neuroplasty's and other procedures which are more long term.  He says none of them are really long term and they all just last a few months and that's where physical therapy and building up those core muscles come in.  Right - I have had 5 back surgeries - 4 of which are FAILED BACK SURGERIES (I guess the fusion from L2-L:5 has worked).  I was hurt in a car accident in 2003.  They make you feel like it's all your fault, and if you would just exercise more and lose weight, you'll be fine!

#**DE&*T#&@($

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.