Severe Osteoarthritis all over my body...

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi, I am new to this forum, and really am seeking any information I can find. Just wondering if anyone knows of or has osteoarthritis all over, I mean everywhere. I have it in my feet, ankles, knees, hips, spine, hands, fingers, and elbows and shoulders. My right hip is gone I need a total hip replacement, and I started having problems walking like my legs don't want to work about 3 months ago, since learned that the arthritis in my lumbar spine is severe, waiting for an MRI because the doctor thinks I have some kind of nerve compression or nerve damage. He also said the rest of the spine surely has some issues to, just from looking at how bad everything else is. Just ordered ex-rays again to see if the left hip is also gone or if most of that pain is from the back problems. I am worried I will end up in a wheelchair. I have had arthritis for several years and have been taking Tramadol and Ibuprofin 600 three times a day each for quite some time now, but the pain has become so severe that does not take care of it all. The Orthopedic doctor gave me two steroid shots in the lower spine area a couple of days ago, and that helped with the shooting pains going down my legs and buttocks (he said he thought was nerve pain), and that did help quite a bit with that part of the pain. I am 61 years old and although I knew the arthritis would "get worse over time" (as the Rheumatologist told me), I never dreamed I would be wondering if I am going to loose my ability to even walk or function. Thanks for listening...

7 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in lower back 10 years ago, now I have pain in my neck top of spine going down I between shoulders, my arms knees back ribs and my knuckles are swollen and painful on my right hand. I think the pain down my spine is cervical spondylitis because my sister has just been diagnosed with that to go with her osteoporosis, my mum had rheumatoid  arthritis my dad had osteoarthritis everyone in the family has it. The only time I am pain free is if I go swimming but it only lasts for a couple of hours, I take codeine and paracetamol but it does not get rid of the pain. I get the strangest symptoms I am 63 and just fed up with feeling terrible everyday...
    • Posted

Dear Lyn,

I am new to this forum...... I have had something "wrong" with my bones since childhood.  My father was a doctor and did his best trying to get the best to figure out "what" was wrong with my bones....... in 1986 I became a "lab rat" up at UCSF and received one of the first "non" cemented hip as I was allergic to all the "cements" used for this procedure.  Along with bad  bones I have the weirdest allergies...... cements, adhesives, resorbing sutures, latex, then the "drugs"...omg.... if I am not allergic to them my stomach will start to bleed due to 40+ years of anti inflammatories such as Motrin and such.... I am fed up with feeling terrible 24-7 too.  I use to find relief in the pool too!  I can not get in and out of a pool.  I so miss feeling better in the hot water of a pool......

My heart goes out to you and all my fellow "intense pain crew"....... what are we suppose to do??......

If you feel like writing me back I would love to hear from you!

Erela

• Posted

Osteoarthritis runs in my family...BOTH SIDES if my family, so I suspected that I would run into it SOMETIME.

Looking back, I felt the first symptoms around age 30 when our first son was born. Symptoms came and went, however.

I began taking Glucosimine to ward off trouble. I also used a heating pad for my lower back which would REALLY ACHE at times. I got a massager for my car seat. That helped A LOT because it also had HEAT.

I began a walking program which helped me lose 80 pounds in 2007. I felt pretty good but needed to take Ibuprofen before I walked and needed to ICE and rest afterwards.

In September of that same year I was on vacation and taking an evening walk. I stepped off the curb and felt a POP in the back of my right knee.

One thing led to another, and pretty soon I was feeling pain in other parts of my knee, my back, etc.

Physical therapy didn't help and actually made things worse. Also my 99 year old mother came to live with us for two years which produced GREAT RESPONSIBILITY, little sleep, and MUCH STRESS.

It was during this time in 2011 and 2012 that the osteoarthritis hit with a vengeance. I think the stress, the little sleep, me being older (60), etc. really were the straws that broke the camel's back, so to speak, for me.

Cortisone shots worked for four DAYS.

My insurance wouldn't pay for the Ortho-Disc shots.

I was TOTALLY FRUSTRATED, very upset, and IN DENIAL about everything.

I started to think that wheelchairs and scooters were my future.

One morning I woke to HORRENDOUS pain in my OTHER KNEE! I was unable to put any weight on my leg. I was using crutches. It was Memorial Day Weekend, so I had to wait several days until Tuesday when I could call my doctor.

Long story short...got X-RAYS, bone-on-bone, no cartilage left. Doc said I needed TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENTS on both knees.

I was shocked at how bad my knees had got in just four years. I booked my first knee surgery before I left the office.

I will be getting my SECOND KNEE done in six weeks. My first knee is nine weeks post op.

Surgery was the best thing I did. I will have OTHER PAIN, but at least my two knees will feel better.

Don't be afraid of surgery. Sometimes it can be the only thing that helps the PAIN.

I wish you a pain-free time!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, yes we are close to about the same age. I also am a caregiver of an elderly parent. Actually started taking care of both of my parents and their property 15 years ago. Mom passed 7 years ago but I am still taking care of my Dad. Just in the last two weeks have had to give up doing any lawn or outside work for him, is hard enough just being able to do a little housework and take care of my Dad as he has had some extreme worsening of his condition lately. Is rough because I have no help. Is one reason I put off getting anything done with my right hip, now seems like all the sudden everything else has went too! I have lived with the pain for a long time, but the most frightening thing for me is the difficulty walking and being mobile. I am not used to just NOT being able to do things......guess I am learning. 
    • Posted

You are where I was a few years ago...too busy helping others to help myself!

It is hard to find time for yourself, and sleep is usually interrupted as well. Bad combination because depression sets in quickly.

I had pretty much decided the PAIN, the poor walking ability, the stiffness, trouble doing pretty much EVERYTHING I was used to doing was my lot in life.

Mom passed away 25 days shy of age 101. It took awhile to get used to having time for ME. I still was dragging my feet on any surgery UNTIL I had horrible pain in my GOOD KNEE one morning. That led to seeing my doctor after a four-year break. X-RAYS were SCARY-BAD! I scheduled surgery before leaving the office that day.

Your time will come for YOU.

I hope things work out that you can get relief very soon.

Pain, not being able to do things you are USED to doing, and feeling hopeless is NOT a fun way to live.

I sure do feel for you because I once was RIGHT THERE!

Take care!

Please keep in touch!

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl, as like you I stumbled along until my "good" leg went. That is when the real panic and fear set in. I know I must do something now to get things that are treatable taken care of before it can't be fixed...Wishing you well....

Barb

• Posted

Hi, I also have OA in upper and lower spine , lower is quite bad, right hip (badly) and left hip (mild),my knees are also starting to play up.  Am waiting for the go-ahead for right hip replacement and will fight for the other joint as they deteriorate.

I am the youngest child (67) of parents who were both arthritic but my brother and sister seem to have escaped it.  Just the luck of the draw I suppose.

It's good to come on here and have a rant to people who have some understanding of what you are going though.  I hope you manage to get the best help you can xxx

• Posted

Wishing you well CelsB.....still waiting for the ex-ray results of the left hip. Ortho doctor said right hip is "very severe" "horrible"....but the back is the most threatening issue for me right now so I have to wait for my MRI to see what is happening to cause the nerve pain and problems walking. Guess one step at a time for me.....
  • Posted

HI, I have had Arthritis since the age of 11, It started off as Septic Arthritis and now I have Osteoarthritis In my left knee, my right knee, my spine and my right foot. I have had a total knee replacement twice on my left knee plus several operations as a child and my right knee may be a partial knee replacement. I am still only just turned 59, my first knee replacement was at 39 and the second at 52. I also had broken my leg the second time. The first time I had to also have the Tibia straightened as my leg had bowed and the ligaments had gone In my groin. I know the pain and how debilitating Arthritis Is. I live on my own and have always struggled after my operations with very little support. I don't drive either so getting about as been problamatic. I often think about being In a wheelchair or scooter and that worries me. I walk with a stick now when I am out. I suffer nerve pain for the last 2 years. I take Gaberpentin for nerve pain, Naproxen for my spine I also take Nefopam and Codeine at night to help me sleep. I am still In constant pain. At least here there are people to talk to and understand what It's like to suffer Arthritic pain.

I hope you find a way of coping.

Best wishes.

Elizabeth. 

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth for your reply, you definetely have had your share of pain. I know exactly what you are talking about being worried about using a wheelchair or scooter. Pretty frightening when it gets to difficult and painful to walk or move around. I am still waiting for my MRI appt. of the spine to look for the nerve damage, compression. It's been a pretty rough few months. Have had pain for years, but it all changes when you can't hardly walk...Wishing you well....Barb
  • Posted

Hi, I too have spinal and multi joint OA. It started when I was quite young, early 40,s I think. Around the time of menopause anyway when I started to have problems with it. Severe back pain and sciatica (nerve pain down thigh), which was so painful I couldn't bear to walk and trying to go to the loo, (num 2) was virtually impossible! I've spent the last 30 years trying to come to terms with it. Not much help from the Docs really, just told to keep taking the tablets and learn to live with it as we're not able to cure it. The rest of my joints, neck, shoulders, elbows, hands, fingers, hips,knees, feet and toes have all followed on since then. I tried hydrotherapy in a warm pool at the local hospital but it was closed when the other hospital was rebuilt. Now we have one hydrotherapy pool for the whole county and city. It's virtually impossible to get an appointment now let alone a regular weeky session which really did help. I would recommend it if you have access to one locally and can get referrred. The warm water helps relax muscles making the exercise easier. I'm prescribed, Tramadol and paracetamol, Diclofenac which I've been told I have to cut down with a view to leaving it off as it's no longer advisable for elderly folk to use it. Recently I was prescribed some Amitriptylene for bedtime instead as I had Shingles in April. It does help me sleep better but not much help for the OA pain especially the spine. I find Valerian capsules (from health food shop)useful,  sleeping betterand also to relax the muscles which spasm with overuse now my joints don't function so well. I'm now 72 and have bought a scooter, tried one on hol in Spain and found it very useful for getting around the resort. I also have a rollator with seat over shopping box, very useful if I need to go town on bus. I have my weekly shopping delivered, do it online now. So much easier than struggling with heavy bags. It's brought into the kitchen and I just have to put it away. I think this is what was meant by 'learning to live with it'! We have to adapt our lives round  the disabilities. Finally, rest, rest, rest if your in pain. It's very tiring, I'm totally fatigued if I have to do housework, gardening, walking etc now. If I don't rest, my brain just doesn't function properly anymore and I start dropping things, making mistakes and generally don't function well at all! Sorry i can't give you any hope of a cure but i think you will be able to adapt if you put your mind to it. Best wishes, Ellie X rolleyes
    • Posted

Thanks Ellie for your reply, yes, you and others know exactly how I feel. I have constant pain that never seems to go away. Some days are better than others. Is real hard on me also started taking care of sick parents over 15 years ago. Mom passed 7 years ago, but still taking care of Dad and his property and home on top of my own. Has been extremely difficult the past 3-4 months since the problems with walking. My Dad is in terrible shape and needs my help desperately, but I don't know how long I can hold up. That is one reason I put off my right hip for so long, now my back is also all messed up and possibly the left hip too...Not to mention my feet, ankles, hands, and all the other bad spots. The back is the worse thing because I feel like I am loosing my ability to walk and function. It is a scary feeling as you well know. Wishing you well..,..
  • Posted

Hi Barbie. Have you asked Social Services for an assessment for your Dad? It sounds like he needs full time care now. You could also consider a temporary stay in a nursing home for him while you get the treatment you need so badly. (Respite care)! Ask at your GP's surgery for info how to contact SS in your area and speak to your Dad's GP too as they will need to know all his health details. You can also claim the carers allowance, ask SS about this too. Not meaning to sound bossy but I think you need help before you get too ill to take care of Dad! Take care of yourself first!  Ellie X
    • Posted

Thanks Ellie, yes is getting pretty bad and even scary leaving him alone when I have to. We just saw his GP today and he gets all of his medical treatment from the VA....they just a couple days ago started to send out a home care nurse to check on him. Think that is going to be twice a week, and the only other help they offered was called a "bath aide" that helps them bathe (which he refused), and maybe makes their bed. He was admitted to the hospital last week (again) and even the dr. in the ER told him he needs to be in a facility, but he refuses. His confusion is terrible, but he insists on being in his home, and alone.....Makes it real hard on me, especially since I am having trouble walking and so much pain. Not sure what to do at this point. Thanks for your advice and thanks for caring....Wishing you well...,Barb
  • Posted

I have the same problems. Although i am only 26 i have severe osteoarthritis all over my body as well and nothing helps my pain and at times i cant even move or get out of bed.
    • Posted

I am like that today and most days pain everywhere, you are only 26 Mine started at the age of 40 I am 64 now and everyday is a nightmare, I really hope they come up with some pain relief without the side effects......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.