Severe Osteoarthritis all over my body...

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi, I am new to this forum, and really am seeking any information I can find. Just wondering if anyone knows of or has osteoarthritis all over, I mean everywhere. I have it in my feet, ankles, knees, hips, spine, hands, fingers, and elbows and shoulders. My right hip is gone I need a total hip replacement, and I started having problems walking like my legs don't want to work about 3 months ago, since learned that the arthritis in my lumbar spine is severe, waiting for an MRI because the doctor thinks I have some kind of nerve compression or nerve damage. He also said the rest of the spine surely has some issues to, just from looking at how bad everything else is. Just ordered ex-rays again to see if the left hip is also gone or if most of that pain is from the back problems. I am worried I will end up in a wheelchair. I have had arthritis for several years and have been taking Tramadol and Ibuprofin 600 three times a day each for quite some time now, but the pain has become so severe that does not take care of it all. The Orthopedic doctor gave me two steroid shots in the lower spine area a couple of days ago, and that helped with the shooting pains going down my legs and buttocks (he said he thought was nerve pain), and that did help quite a bit with that part of the pain. I am 61 years old and although I knew the arthritis would "get worse over time" (as the Rheumatologist told me), I never dreamed I would be wondering if I am going to loose my ability to even walk or function. Thanks for listening...

7 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have body-wide osteoarthritis, I am 56 and have had symptoms since my 20s. I have already had both knees and right hip replaced, I have had a high tibial osteotomy, lower back double laminotomy and neck surgery due to cervical stenosis. I also have pain and swelling in my fingers, wrists, ankles and feet. It appears to run in the family, my sisters, brothers, and father had it or have it. I am wondering who else suffers from this aweful disease which I believe is not "wear and tear" osteoarthritis but something else entirely. This should be considered some sort of a disorder in its own right.

• Posted

I’m also new to this forum, and I’m in a similar state right now. I had partial knee replacement 4 years ago, now my hip needs replacement, I have little to no mobility in my shoulder- all on the left side. Cortisone doesn’t touch it. I know activity is important, but if I walk 100yards it feels like 100 miles and my knees throb in pain. It’s taking its toll on my emotions and patience. I’m 65, still work and have always been active, now I worry about my job and quality of life. Apologies for venting. I wonder about both hip and shoulder replacement, which should come first?

i am also trying some dietary changes. Any suggestions are more than needed! Thanks!

• Posted

My husband suffers severely from osteoarthritis and had both hips replaced at Mayo Clinic in Rochester.  One of his hips turned out very well, the other, done later by a different surgeon didn't turn out as good - it always pains him.  I have several questions:  Are you planning to retire at age 66?  If so, I'd wait until than to have the surgeries.  If not, since you're still working, I'd probably have the shoulder done first, so it wouldn't jeopardize the travel to & from your job and having to sit at your desk, which would get very painful after a time.  If you would be getting enough time off work to recover over, say 1 to 2 months, I'd have the shoulder done, than get the hip done too so that when you went back to work you'd have it all done.  I wish you the best of luck - I'm so sorry you're in such pain over this.  Mayo Clinic is a wonderful facility and their doctors are very personable and knowledgeable if you're planning on going there.  If not, there's probably some facilities near you - do your research, though - on the doctors, their procedures, if they do minimally invasive surgery, which lessens your recovery time greatly.  Ask many questions - we did and we turned one 'expert witness' doctor down because of his old approaches.  My husband had the minimally invasive surgery with a protein sponge to build the bone from, instead of taking it from another part of your body.   Please don't just go to anyone - it's the only body you have - you want it to be done right!  Once again, my best luck to you!

• Posted

Thanks so much for your input. I will ask questions when I meet with the shoulder surgeon next week. I think I would have that done first, as it effects "life" more than the hip - I'm used to that pain and have been trying to walk (not very far) and keep moving. I do  hope to keep working for a few more years (I'm a teacher) and maybe could schedule the shoulder surgery for the winter break, which is about 4 weeks. I definitely want this all handled in the best manner, and a lot of that is up to me. Thanks again.

• Posted

I hear what you're saying (and feel it as well). When I learned I had osteoarthritis, I thought I was lucky. I didn't know it was degenerative, and over the last two months, I have degenerated to the point where I can't walk more than 50 feet. I had one knee replacement, I've had cortisone to no avail in one hip: bottom line, nothing has worked and not I know I have both hips in need of replacement, one shoulder - and it's all come about in the last two months.

Right now I almost have lost the ability to walk - and when I do, it's painful and slow. If I could have everything replaced tomorrow, I would. Doctors don't seem as urgent about this as I am. I worry I won't be able to  work.

Thanks to you for listening as well.

• Edited

I very much admire all the people who are writing into this site. I am a fellow sufferer, age 75.

No arthritis in my family whatsoever. But it has hit me hard. No replacements yet, but hoping for knee, hip, etc.

I have two points to make:

1. It sounds like everyone here is dreading a wheelchair. I'm planning on being graceful when that time comes for me. I'm lucky, though, to have a still-hardy husband who would push me around and many sufferers aren't that lucky.
    2. I've started taking CBD oil for pain and I find it is working quite well. My doc said she couldn't give me a prescription due to lack of knowledge about Cannibis but she gave me two names of local clinics. I now take it 3 times a day and it makes a huge difference for me. There is still pain but I can function very much better. I take only CBD oil, not THC because I do not want to feel "high." I recommend it.
  • Posted

Hi!

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and have it in both hands, wrists, elbows, my upper back, left hip and left ankle. There's probably a few other places as well.

I also agree with one of the previous comments where I don't think it's a wear and tear disease. I'm 48, and within a matter of months I had this problem (which started 2.5 years ago). It seemed to be connected to a viral illness that I had which made it worse. Nobody can tell me that all of my joints (on both sides in most cases) have suddenly worn out. It doesn't make sense. I've had all the tests for inflammatory arthritis but they come back negative. I also have zero swelling, just stiffness and sore joints that very gradually get worse. This seems to be a disease in it's own right.

It's a horrible thing to have and I sympathise with all of you that have it, especially the much younger people. I'm so sorry. What I find hard to deal with is that I feel as though I have some rare disease that very few other people have, and there's no explanation or real treatment plan. It's just pain relief and joint replacement in the end. I also worry that one day I won't be able to work because of this. I work in IT support, I type all day and my elbows and hands are the worst. It's a very lonely place to be sometimes.

Anyway, try to keep positive folks. Really look after your diet as much as you can (no processed food, alcohol, sugar, dairy, meat or caffeine). I try to stick to a plant based diet most of the time. Keep moving as much as you can.

Helen x

• Posted

Hello. I have severe OA all over my body, as well as RA.

The road to diagnosing my RA was long. If you were simply tested for the RA factor and results were negative, you may be Seronegative like me.

It was through a MRI that I was finally diagnosed with RA. I knew for years I had it with no one ever believing me.

If your pain gets worse, and you have all the classic symptoms of RA, especially in your wrists, insist on a MRI.

• Posted

Hi I am new on this site, i too have osteoarthritis all over. How are you getting on? i notice what i am replying to was from 5 months ago, have you had many changes? i am 60 this yr, i first started with this in 2014 and had to new half knees in 2015, which lasted all of 8 mths, then i was back to square one, i had to wait until nov 2019 to have one full knee put in, then oct same year for other knee to be done. now my knees are good, but, my hands are awful, the doctor actually said they are knackered including my wrist, also had another x-ray on my lower back and hips as was in lot of pain, i thought it was my hips, but apparently its pain radiating from lower back, and now one of my ankles has started , is very painful when walking, so once again back where i started. i don't know about you ,but i am so sick of not being able to do what i like doing, especially getting out daily to walk my border collies. i still do but its getting harder and harder , and not every day now, just can't do it, to make matters even worse for my self i have gained weight in this lock down, and obviously i am not doing all the walking i was doing, so comfort eating, i am trying to loose the weight now, but its soooo hard. would love to hear how your getting on, and from any body else in the same boat, my husband has no empathy for me at all, and i have to say even i am sick of me moaning and groaning about the pain ,i have even gone vegan , as not eating meat is meant to help joints and ease pain, can't say i have noticed any differences though.

• Posted

Hello! My name is Renee. I replied to noplaybarbie as well, and thought I'd join your thread as well. I completely understand how you feel, (see my reply to noplaybarbie) and offer my heartfelt empathy,

I see no joy in planning my future other than one day at a time. I try my very best never to complain, but unless you live like this, one has NO idea how we get through a single day!

• Posted

I happened across your post while searching "severe Osteoarthritis all over my body". I honestly thought I was the ONLY one! Along with my OA, I also have RA, no surprise, as well as Fibromyalgia.

I will be 59 in October and I feel there is not a part of my body that doesn't have OA!

I just learned I have severe Facet Arthropathy and grade 1 Anterolisthesis, and will be getting a MRI this Sunday to see if there is nerve damage. I'm sure it's there because of the horrific pain I live with every second, or every day! If it were remotely possible to have OA in your hair, I'd probably have it there too!

It is in my hips and knees, and all my fingers, with RA reeking havoc in my wrist. My toes and ankles hurt as well, just haven't had those x-rayed yet.

I am sorry to hear about your pain. Know that there is someone out there that TRULY knows what you are living with. I pray for healing of our bodies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.