Severe Osteoarthritis and new aching pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered with Osteoarthritis for a long time now, left knee hips,back but now my right knee which s the better of the two is constantly aching. It doesn’t feel like the usual pain in my other leg and it’s keeping me awake at night.  I can feel it mostly when inactive and sitting or laying down.  Just wondering what the cause of it is.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Deferred pain possibly. try this website for some insight. It helped me and I am getting better.

good luck

Teresa

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

The fact that you feel it most when inactive *might* indicate an irritated nerve.

I've never had problems with knees but had several months of bad pain all down one side of my hip and leg. If I was on the move I'd be virtually pain free, but the moment I sat down or tried to sleep the gnawing ache would start to build. 

I think I 'tweaked' something to cause the initial nerve pain but once a nerve is irritated it can refuse to settle back down. I was given a drug called Amitriptyline and that did the trick. Your doctor would know what I'm talking about here - there are other drugs that have similar effect. The class of drugs that are good for settling down nerve pain were originally developed as anti-depressants, but it was discovered that they were good in low does at settling down irritated nerves. They take a few weeks to work but can work extremely well. If the initial cause of the nerve irritation is now gone you may only need them for a couple of months.

The root cause of your pain in multiple joints (or at least some of it) is likely to be complex muscle imbalance putting strain on your hips, back and knees. For example, common patterns are for the muscles that externally rotate the hip and knee to dominate in one leg. If for example, you were to try to squat would your pelvis 'kick' to one side? Do you find that your foot on one side refuses to point inwards? Do you have a sense of one leg feeling longer than the other? The pelvis rotating back on one side?

• Posted

I know by the way  I walk now that I am putting strain on other joints. This is making my problem escalate.  Unfortunately I am unable to take much medication so am limited to low doses of pain killers.

• Posted

I won't pretend it's easy, but it IS possible to correct the muscle imbalances that are straining all of your joints and drastically reduce symptoms. In some cases complete 'cure' is possible. By that I mean all symptoms gone. You'd still have worn joints, but in most of the population that's completely benign. 

Google for 'Trigger Point Treatment' - this is self massage that's easy to do with plenty of free info on line. It's not a 'cure' but with a bit of patience and practice it can be a real miracle worker for managing pain and symptoms. I'd recommend having a good play about with that. There's a book called "The Trigger Point Workbook" - I think the author is called Claire Davis. I highly recommend this book as it's extremely educational and a 'one stop shop' for all the info you need, but you can get the info you need free of charge online. 

If you get success with that then it might give you the confidence to try and address the underlying muscle imbalances that are causing the trigger points to form. This is a difficult task, but cure IS possible in some cases and it can only do good. 

You have more control over your condition than you've been led to believe! 

• Posted

Thank you for your input, some good points to ponder.  The problem I’m facing now is because my OA is so bad I have difficulties doing many tasks myself and am reliant on my family to help.

• Posted

I'd urge you again to do a bit of experimentation with Trigger Points. No guarantees, but for many people (especially women for some reason) it really can be a miracle worker! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.