Severe pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. It started about 18 months ago although I have had a bad back for about 20 yrs ,I have had 4 m.r.i's and the results came back with carpel tunnel of left hand ,herniated discs in my neck and lower back, bone spurs,a tavol cyst and various other things. I have extreme pain in my left hip which causes me to lean heavily on my walker that sets of the arthritis in my hands and shoulders then my neck. I find I can mostly cope during the day by taking strong co codamol but at night and when I get in bed it's murder and keeps me awake half the night,I often cry with the pain it can be that bad. I have tried a tens machine and a heat pad which do help a bit. I'm only 66 and don't want to end up in a wheelchair by the time I'm 70 but I am so depressed by it all I don't even feel like getting up some mornings. I feel that the Dr doesn't won't to know,I referred myself to the cats team (multiskelital) team and had some physio exercised which I did at home but hav'nt helped.Sorry to prattle on but just needed to vent my feelings before I go mad.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Go see an Orthopedic Doctor for your hip. You should get it checked. You might need a replacement. I've had both hips replaced, along with my knees, left shoulder and a back fusion, all due to osteoarthritis. it's possible to wait too long. I had no cartilage left. It is possible to destroy the bone if you wait. My shoulder went only before my hip replacement. I was waiting for insurance to kick in.

If you do get it done, do all the exercises they tell you to do. There are also hip precautions you will need to follow always. Never bend down to pick stuff off the floor, without bending your knees, you could pop the new hip out of the socket. This is true especially when joint is new. I've known several people who did this, their new hip went out of the socket. Then the hip is never the same and you will have pain forever.

I have no pain in any of my new joints. Get any joint checked if you are having pain in them.

Good luck.

• Posted

I had a similar problem when I had to start using a walker. But then someone told me about a device that can be added to your walker. This device is called a platform and you place your forearms on it and this way your weight is on your forearms instead of your hands. It take a bit to get used to but your hands will thank you. OA is a b**** I have it in my hands, one knee, my lower back and possibly my neck. Braces help me quite a bit. I wear a thumb brace on my left thumb because it makes it hurt worse when I use my thumb. My doctor told me that using it would help and they don't believe me that using it increases my pain. Prednisone works wonders on OA but it's a very dangerous drug to use regularly.

• Posted

thanks for replying, yes i can understand how this platform works as i lean on my arms when i use a supermarket trolley. I do try to keep as active as i can but due to other issues, i have heart failure and didnt respond very well to the anaesthetic when having a cancer op 4 years ago ,so any joint replacements are a no no for me. Had a bareable few days without much pain which help me gather myself together so i can cope when it starts again.

• Posted

Hi there

You are right to vent your feelings on this site. Only fellow OA sufferers will truly understand can empathise. No doubt you feeling in a parallel universe. Once you're in pain, nobody has the answer and you are left alone to fend for yourself.

Do you live in an area which offers a Pain Management Programme? I've heard mixed reviews but if it offers one bit of help it may be worth a go.

Try and keep moving as much as possible - even if it's a little bit at a time. I've started wearing a FitBit, just to see what I'm doing every day. Being in water/sauna help. Some days I don't do much in the pool but at least I've tried and had a chat perhaps with someone else.

The PAin team kept telling me to pace myself (I haven't been able to do this yet as OA is SO erratic). I found the Government of WEstern Australia Pain Health site quite sensible regarding this.

Keep a little book by your bed to write in every day. Just a few things about your day, what you've done (exercise, sleep etc), then follow it with 3 good things about your day. Sad though this may be, I quite enjoy writing it all down (I was orginally hoping to see a pattern, but....)

Keep going..exhausting I know

JJ

• Posted

Hi,

I was diagnosed with OA in my spine about 5 years ago. Tried everything and was eventually given a brochure by my acupuncturist on the Makko ho stretching method.

Started doing the very simple stretches and now as long as I do them 3 times a week, I am pain free and better still medication free. You can do them on a bed, floor, couch. Takes about 10 mins. I found the exercises on You tube. Also had really bad right hip problems and was getting to the stage of thinking hip replacement. Was travelling quite a bit at the time and at every hotel I stayed I used their gym and their recumberent bike. Found at the end of the month of travelling my hip pain had almost disappeared. Did some research and came across a response on this website that mentioned the balancing of the pelvic muscles would be of great help. I continued doing this exercise and have had no more pain in that area. The general discussion online was that we in our lives very seldom stand evenly and over decades it impacts on our hips which get out of alignment. By balancing the muscles it takes the pressure off the which ever side is giving the most trouble. I came back from my trip and have managed to spend 30 mins twice a week on one of these bikes and have had absolutely no pain. I am 71 and now a firm believer in helping yourself as I really think after this age the medical profession is not really that interested in treating you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.