Severe pain after tooth extraction

Posted , 38 users are following.

I had a lower back molar out last Wednesday as I had the worst toothache. The dentist had a job getting it out as it broke. I also think he was in a hurry as he said he was already behind. Ever since I have been in agonising pain which is unbearable especially at night. I cannot sleep or eat and I am taking way too many pain killers. I have been back to the dentist and he packed the socket this didn't help at all. I ended up going to the out of hrs gp and was given anti biotics on day 3 of these and still no better. I feel like I'm going mad the pills are making me dizzy as I am not eating. I just wish I knew what was wrong. I am going back to dentist today but I'm so scared i cant even open my mouth. If I press on my cheek I can taste pus.

3 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sharon

3 years on ..,how are you?  Did your tooth pain go🙏.  Today  I am in exactly the same situation as you .  I had my molar extracted because of shoddy root canal work.  Dentist cracked the tooth now I am in worse  horrendous  pain.  I too am taking far to many pain killers  every few hours.   Did you find a solution ???? I am packing mine with Clove  oil  and rinsing with warm salt water . I have been told  by another dentist it’s not infected.

It hurts so much 😢

• Posted

Oh, hey..... I just had a failed crown, root canalled tooth pulled (excavated) not quite a week ago. The surgeon had to split the darned thing in half in order to get it out. He told me (whilst yanking the dickens out of it) that not only was the root slightly curved, but that they were ball shaped as well...something he hadn't seen in a very long time. I didn't care. I just wanted the damned thing OUT. Well, he got the pieces out (which I kept) gave me a stitch, my post op instructions, and bade me a good day. The anesthetic was wearing off before I hit the exit, and by about, I want to say, a good half hour later, it was pretty much completely worn off, and I felt like my lower jaw exploded. I got my ibuprofen (800mg) and amoxicillin about a half hour after that. The pain became a dull thud for a very short while, but came back with a vengeance later on. So now, fast forward to nearly a week later: I have three canker sores where the doctor injected the anesthetic, and it feels like someone is stabbing me in the socket with a dull knife. I bought some Anbesol to deal with the canker sores, and it does work. I also bought OTC ibuprofen (200mg) which I quadruple when I take them (which I know I shouldn't do because stomach problems blah blah blah). I think last night was the first night I didn't have any pain whatsoever. I mean, it was GONE. And then this morning I woke up to the pain again. AND, I'm looking at the stitch the surgeon put in. It's on my countertop. I'm beginning to wonder if the pain is coming from the tooth in front of the crater where my old tooth used to be. Honestly, that's what it's beginning to feel like. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear your condition. I think you should go for another dentist.
    • Posted

I did. And got the issue fixed. New doctor cleaned out the infection causing all the trouble, packed it with clove of olives (I love olives) and stitched it proper closed. Now I'm on clindamycin (much stronger antibiotic, but yikes, does it affect digestion....) and minimal pain. It's still gonna hurt a little, but I can live with a pinch versus a virtual jackhammer.

• Posted

Those 3 things are the main techniques to minimise pain after a tooth extraction. One of the things that we have also found to be most helpful is a mixture that one of our oral surgeon colleagues has developed.

• Posted

Think thats awfull what you have gone through i would be tempted to find a hospital or another dentist as you shouldnt be suffering like this. I Have been suffering with severe sensitive teeth with old mercury fillings since August my dentist thought it was /trigeminal-neuralgia which my symptons made me think the same the attacks i was having was really painfull in my face then i went numb. Never knew when i was going to have attack. Well went to a nerve clinic on the 27th and she explained it was my tooth. Advised for my dentist to shave my bite off my back molor and grind the filling and put a temp filling . I did agree but had another attack that night so asked my dentist to take it out. Under a long winded conversation he took it out yesterday! yippy no pain no attacks in my face no sensations in my other teeth its brill. Will say he wasnt happy taking it out as i think they just think of keep getting you back to spend more money. It cost £140 i nearly died.

Will say i have a good dentist but they need to listen to there patients. I dont think the consultant will be happy either to know i went against him but its my teeth and am not one for the dentist !

• Posted

dear sharon l hope you are now better after such a horrible time.

l had a tooth out two days ago and boy does the surrounding jaw and teeth left hurt. Gums are okay but the jaw and tooth pain is like awful. just did a salt water rinse and that seemed to aggravate my mouth like crazy!!

warm wishes to you

lovelypumpkin 🎉🌈

• Posted

HI SHARON,

I'm going through the exact same thing and the DENTIST act like he don't care. I can't eat or anything. This my first time having a tooth pulled and didn't know what to expect. I believe he damaged my nerve too. I hope i don't have to live with this pain.

• Posted

HI Ronni

i had a tooth out Nov 29th i think they caught the nerve as at the beginning of the the year the next one was turning black

By June i had the worse tooth ache ! saw another dentist in my practice and was confirmed it was dying. Took it out 2 days later but it took 1 1/4 hours and i didnt feel a thing. The dentist was running behind but she didnt care about that.

GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Sounds so familiar, if I knew what I know now, I would've left the tooth in my mouth. The dentist act like they have no sympathy for what you are going through. My dentist wouldn't give me nothing for pain. I read it's nerve damage. Some peoples get better and some don't. The dentist must of hit a nerve when the tooth broke because mine broke too. Wishing you luck and seek another dentist.

• Edited

Sounds like you should see a dentist ASAP.

I mean, pain after extraction is usual. Last year I went to a clinic for getting Invisalign braces. The crowding problem was sever so the dentist extracted two of my molars. And one of em broke during the extraction and I had unbearable pain for more than one week. I couldn't even drink or eat without feeling the pain.

But your issue seems like something more severe. I would suggest washing your mouth frequently with salt water.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

if anyone is reading this and going through the pain that is unbearable you need 60mg of codeine 2 paracetamols and a fat joint (no tobacco) every 3-4 hours and you will be right as rain.

• Posted

Use clove oil from a health store. Do not use clove oil too much it will cause tooth rotting.

• Posted

Are you interested in receiving tooth extractions in South Miami? If you're looking to receive tooth extractions near you, it's normal to feel some discomfort and mild pain in the first few days. Typically, the pain can be addressed with ibuprofen. If the pain persists or gets worse, you should contact your dentist or oral surgeon immediately. You should avoid eating hot, spicy, and hard foods while you're healing. In the first few days, you should consume soft foods. It's essential to follow your dentist's aftercare instructions to ensure a smooth and quick recovery. You may have gotten an infection or dry socket but your dentist can examine your mouth and provide you with treatment.

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

It is normal to feel some pain after the anesthesia wears off.

For 24 hours after having a tooth pulled, you should also expect some swelling and residual bleeding. However, if either bleeding or pain is still severe more than four hours after your tooth is pulled, you should call your dentist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.