Severe pain Dr does not prescribe on meds after 1 week of surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 17 days po TKR I am up walking on my own without assistance, i have have my 3rd pt appt. My dr does not believe in prescribing pain meds after 1st week, i can not take ibuprofen due to only having 1 kidney. The suggestion from the physician's office is to take tylenol which does absolutely nothing to ease the pain. I am icing as instructed, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

My surgeon said that pain inhibits healing and that I should therefore take necessary pain killers. However, when I was discharged from hospital I was only given a prescription for panadol which did not touch pain. So I went to my local GP and got some tramadol. However, after painful and sleepless nights I phoned a doctor friend of mine who said double the dose of Tramadol and take sleeping pills for a week. He said not to worry about getting addicted to Tramadol but not to take the sleeping pills for too long. This gave me some decent nights sleep which was a lifesaver. Despite dyer warnings from my physio I carried on taking the Tramadol for six weeks (I think I had more post operative pain than normal) and had no problem cutting down to zero. I am now a year and a half on from my op and can walk, cycle and ski with no pain at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.