Severe pain has come back

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had. New knee on 5th Nov 14' in horrendous pain for 3 weeks not ashamed to admit I cried, eventually got a little easier by the day, off Crutches by Christmas and able to bend my knee in access of 90 degrees well pleased, surgeon told me on Xmas Eve I was doing so well no need for Physio just keep on what I am doing, I thought great, Last week severe pain in back of knee when I bend it and struggle to get about  90 degrees now without severe pain, which is hampering my sleep and walking, has anybody else had this problem, or could give me some advice.  HELP!!!!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You poor thing...I think it is just an up and down journey. I am a month behind you.....so 7 weeks now. As you say hell for the first 3 weeks, a breakthrough at 5 weeks seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Discharged by the surgeon at 6 weeks and then suddenly pain worse again both sides of the knee, into lower leg, in my back, and I still wake at 4am and have difficulty getting comfortable and back to sleep. Hoping there will be another breakthrough. 

The physio exercise book says to moderate your exercising if your pain increases.

• Posted

Hi i am 11wks and thought this hell would never end. @ 8 weeks i thought things were improving then i had swelling at the back of the knee with pain on bending and walking and i started to think i was never going to be able to walk properly.

I started icing the back of my knee for long periods of time and did lots of stretching. Plus i would rest on the bed with my leg elevated - foot up on the headboard.

Suddenly yesterday i realised the swelling had gone down and the pain had gone! Today i walked without my stick for the first time.

Apart from a bit of tightness and heaviness i feel almost normal.

Don't despair it will get better. We've all been there and sympathise.

Stay positive and do rest enough

• Posted

Hi Graham, I know how you feel, I had mine on 17th November and it took me ages for pain to settle. Still can't come off painkillers as when I do I'm okay for a day or so and then pain is so severe for several days until I can get it back under control again. It's definitely an up and down journey. I was due to go back to work this week but have been given another six weeks off. My bend is ok but am having to practise hard on the leg raises. Some days I still cry with the pain! You are not alone, we have to persevere, I'm right with you. Stay positive.

• Posted

Hi!

i'm now at 14 weeks and like the majority of folks on this site, I can totally relate to how you're feeling. Some weeks I feel like I'm making progress and then on others I just dispare! I haven't had a full nights sleep since the operation. When my knee feels "jammed up" I get on my static bike and turn the pedals (on occasions it has really hurt) as I'm frightened that the scar tissue will build up and my knee won't bend, or function eventually as it should. I still have to take pain killers, especially at night! As everyone has said, it's a long old haul to recovery, it's just a shame that the medical world doesn't prepare you for the physical and psychological impact that this operation has on the patient! Would I have another TKR? I really hope that I don't have to!

• Posted

Hello Graham,

My TKR was on Nov 19th.  While I am back to work, the discomfort that I experience is daily.........some days worse than others.  Sleeping is literally a pain most nights.  My PT reminds me that this is all normal and will eventually improve over time.  There was actually a period of 2 days that I had absolutely NO PAIN!

And then I went off to work and reality set in.  Hang in there.  We will all be better.........in time.

• Posted

Hi Ivan, I had my tkr on November 17th and am so pleased that I have been given another six weeks off work as I am in discomfort on a daily basis. The last few days have been dreadful and today I had real difficulty walking. I've iced continually today and am dreading tonight as I already get very little sleep. I must however stay positive 😃😃😃 hope things keep improving for you😊
    • Posted

Helen,

staying positive is an absolute no matter how difficult may be.  Speaking of having a positive attitude, here I am getting ready for a Blizzard (NYC) and I'm perfectly okay.  Keep remembering That we're all going through the same thing to varying degrees and eventually, for most of us,  it will be memory, a story and a scar😉

keep the faith.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.