Severe Pain in Chest, Right Side of Stomach and Back

Posted , 6 users are following.

I want to think it's as simple as normal heartburn issues, but I want to make sure. This is why...

Every now and again I would get severe (what I believe to be) heartburn. I would always easily solve the problem with Calcium Antacid tablets. For the past year I will have to guess, it seems to happen more often. Not daily, sometimes not weekly, but every month or so. I want to believe it's because I sometimes over eat and an hour or so after, the issue occurs.

I want to add details about myself for clarity sake. I am 29, 30 later this year. I'm about 5'6", male, and overweight for my height. (170lbs roughly). I don't drink, do drugs or smoke cigarettes. However, I vape with nicotine.

Now, I got that out of the way, let me go into the last couple of days.

I am a night owl. I go to bed usually between 4-6 am on average. I get between 6-9 hours of sleep. At around 2 am 2 days ago I ate 3 grilled cheese sandwiches (white bread and processed cheese). The"heartburn" (I'll quote for now) started about 4 am and lasted until about 5 am. I took 3 calcium antacid tablets once I felt it coming, it barely helped but eventually went away.

Early yesterday morning at about midnight, I ate 4 hot dogs (probably wondering at this point... "no wonder"wink. This time I took 3 tablets as soon as I was done eating. And as before about 1 hour later, it happened again, even though I tried preventing it with the tablets.

Here are the symptoms...

It started off on the right side abnomen just under the rib cage. I could feel a lump barely sticking out. It's a sharp, burning, severe pain. After that, I feel it in the chest and the center of my back was last. At that point, it's all happening at once! The pain is unbearable! And it would last over an hour both nights.

What exactly is it? Is it heartburn or something else I should worry about?

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Update: Next night, no issues. Pain on my right side under rib cage woke me out of my sleep. Pain a little on my right side of back as well. I think I have gallstones??
    • Posted

Hi josh I'm voting for gallstones.  The pain is always on the right side and travels to the back.  You need an ultrasound to confirm this.  If you choose elective surgery, it's same day or 1 day in the hospital.  They remove the gallbladder laproscopicly.  You have 3 or 4 1 inch incisions that are covered by band aids.  If you wait for an attack, it's a major surgery with quite a large scar and a much longer hospital stay.  You should knock off the heavy food before sleeping too.  Zap

• Posted

prob just heatburn, but i think pain on the right side like you are decribing could be releated to your gal bladder maybe galstones or something?
  • Posted

You are right   "no wonder" !!    Well,it could be heartburn but with a diet like that it could also be gallstones.      You should really be looking at your diet, and cutting down on the fat.  If you are going to bed just after eating, your symptoms will be worse especially as you say you are overweight. Not sure what the 'lump' can be but it could just be your sternum you are feeling.   I note you havent mentioned being nauseous,but describe the pain as unbearable.....women often describe the pain as 'just like being in labour'       It does sound like gallstones,but you would need a scan to find out.

• Posted

I've had and have the same thing! I once went to the er for sharp pains in my chest! The tests showed I have a bad galbladder! But nothing was done about it. I was told to watch what I eat!  So, it could be the food you're eating! Have you had any tests done? Bood tests, ultra sound, mri, cat scan, etc.? Stay away from hot dogs, cheese, dairy, fried foods, and chocolate. And stay away frrom some fruit. I get indigestion from fruit. And coffee! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.